Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Hummers in NY

penny1947
14 years ago

There was one early report in downstate NY a couple of weeks ago and then nothing until Saturday. There are now two reports for Central NY but nothing yet in Western NY. So all that hang feeders put those feeders out especially since there are no nectar plants blooming yet. It shouldn't be long now especially if we get some good southwest winds. Below is a link to the migration map

Penny

Here is a link that might be useful: 2009 Migration Map

Comments (17)

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    14 years ago

Yeah, I put my 4 feeder's out on Sunday after I saw the map.

Melissa1977

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well Melissa,
    There are now 5 reports in for NY but Lanny hasn't posted them al over at Journey North yet. I guess yesterday was a busy day for sightings. This morning I cleaned and refilled my feeders after all the rain from yesterday.

Penny

• llhowland44
    14 years ago

Filling my feeder now, thanks for the reminder!

• genoprizebull
    14 years ago

I usually wait for Mothers day because I didn't think they came to this area so early in the season.Thanks for the reminder!
    Gene

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gene
    I have had my first hummer as early at the 27th of April. My first two feeders go up betwee3n the 15th and 20th o April.

Penny

• rosalinda_gw
    14 years ago

I haven't seen (or heard) hide nor hair - or feather - of a single one yet. Two years ago they were here the end of MARCH!!! What a cold long hard winter it has been...

-Rosalinda

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rosalinda
    Mid April is normal for them to start moving into NY State. Usually they come up the east coast and hit downstate first. Western NY is usually the last area to start seeing hummers. There are reports in the southtowns of Buffalo and quite a few sitings in central and Downstate. I am still waiting in Niagara County

Penny

• rosalinda_gw
    14 years ago

The little devils usually make their presence known by dive bombing me and chittering at me until I get the feeders out. They are not shy at all about making their desires known, so it is never a mystery that they are back. They are very very late this year, but then so is everything!

-Rosalinda

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well they are in Wisconsin and upper Michigan and Few Foundland but I am still waiting here in Niagara County!

Penny

• awalkinthegarden
    14 years ago

They're back.....
    Saw the little guy this morning at my feeder. He went on to my white nectarine tree which is in full bloom. Yeah!!! Totally made my day.
    I am Leroy/Caledonia areas.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

First male showed up here at 6:58 on May 4th. Now I feel better.

Penny

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    14 years ago

Finally got my first Hummingbird of the season.

Melissa

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Congratulations Melissa! They sure do boost our spirits down't they?

Penny

• rouan
    14 years ago

I finally had my first sighting here (utica area) today; a female showed up at my window feeder. The males migrate first so they must have been here earlier. Last year, I had my first sighting around the 11th, so this is pretty much par for the course for me.

I usually put the feeders up as soon as I see the first reported sighting over the border from PA to NY to make sure there's something available for them while waiting for the flowers to bloom.

• breenthumb
    14 years ago

I saw my first male yesterday but nothing since. Just put the feeders up Thursday, though. I usually have them out early but not this year.

• rosalinda_gw
    14 years ago

First one showed on 3 May, so I got the feeders out, but did not see or hear any for a couple of days and then they were back in force. Need to clean the feeders and refill them today.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Saw my first female today at 10:58 a.m. one day later than last year's first female. Saw her one time after that and the male buzzed me while I was working in the bed near the feeder he seems to have claimed no more sitings today.

Penny

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler