Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
presmudjo

What will the weather be June 1st?

presmudjo
18 years ago

I feel kind of stupid, but I've forgotten what the weather will be the beginning of June. I usually have my annual trek home to the Ogdensburg and surrounding area the end of July, 1st of August. This year I will be there June 1 and am wondering the temps? I've been in Florida since '85 and want to pack correctly. Last year it was actually hotter in July than it was down here! Wow! Will it be the time for wild strawberries? I sure do miss them! Will the lilacs be in bloom then too?

Thanks for any help.

Comments (6)

• adirondackgardener
    18 years ago

Last year, June 1st in the Adirondacks was hot, probably up in the 80's and very dry. West of here, where you will be was even hotter. Shortly afterwards, the weather turned cooler and the rain came (33 degrees F on June 23rd here at 1700 feet elevation.)

Best bet for visiting the North Country is to pack for all kinds of weather from early spring to the sweltering days of summer. You probably can leave the parka home in Florida though.

Wayne

• presmudjo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wayne, my parka consists of a fall jacket! Although we had some very cold days here this last winter. Now I have to find what to do for an outing with my 14 year old boy. We will be visiting family, and have done the 1000 islands thing. May have a chance to get to the camp near St. Regis Falls. Have no plans on visiting Canada, don't need any boarder crossing problems. They don't like Florida ID's.

What should be in bloom that I never get to see down this way? I love flowers especially in the wild.

• lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)
    18 years ago

The nights can get very cold, even in June, that far north. I once went to a June wedding way up there and the days were warm but the nights were frigid, relatively speaking. Not as frigid as winter but, in early June, nightime temps can drop down to the 30s and 40s, depending on what air mass is in place.

Generally, day time is pleasant and warm, unless it's raining. :-)

I would pack things that can be layered, keeping in mind that the days are generally nice -- sometimes quite hot -- and warm weather clothing is in order. The later in June it is, the warmer it is.

If the weather does not get humid, early June can bring very cold nights. Pack a sweater and light jacket just in case. Once again, though, it's all about the layering...layers that can be added or removed as needed. I would bring mostly clothing that would be appropriate to for 70-85 degree weather, with a sweater/jacket just in case the nights get cold.

It sure is beautiful way up in the Adirondacks; I envy your trip.

• adirondackgardener
    18 years ago

Can't help much with what will be in bloom over in the Ogdensberg area. Up here in the High Peaks area, we're happy just to see leaves on the trees.

If you need something to do with your 14 y.o. my veggie garden is only about a half hour from St Regis Falls and always needs weeding and the new cliffside garden has some major clearing projects planned. :) If that's not appealing, Lake Placid is only another 15 miles from here. There's thousands of miles of hiking trails in the area. There's mountain biking on the old Olympic cross-country ski trails or downhill mt biking on Whiteface Mountain trails. Bicycling up here is great and most of the main roads in the High Peaks area are bike-friendly with pretty good shoulders. You can rent road bikes in town. I can link you up with a rock climbing guide if he wants to learn that skill. Great trout streams here also and your camp is already on the best canoe waters.

I run some websites about the area and could send you some links. One is a commercial guide service site so I won't post it here.

Oh, yes, about clothing. You'll be here during our fifth season. More than temperature, keep in mind you'll be here at about the height of black fly season. Long sleeve shirts and pants, even in hot weather will help reduce the bites.

Wayne

• jannie
    18 years ago

For travellers entering Canada, it's good to have either a passport or your US birth certificate to show to Canadian border guards. That's as of now; I know there will be problems beginning December 2006. I got this info first-hand when I last visited Niagara Falls Canada in December 2005.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

The way things are going around here this year it could be snowing in June.

Penny