Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What ate my columbine

Posted by penny1947 z6 WNY (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 23, 09 at 11:58

I have one native columbine in my front bed. It was my largest one and filling out really well. The others on the side are just starting to leaf out. I just went to look at it this morning and it has been eaten right down to the ground Yesterday it was full of foilage today there is nothing at all. Anyone have any ideas what could have eaten it? There are no stems or leaves laying on the ground. It was a neat culprit and left no tell tale clues.

Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What ate my columbine

Take a pick..........deer, groundhog, chipmunk they all are leaf eaters and will destroy entire plants.

o

@#$%^$#@ animals! You should see what the voles did to my flower beds this year when they were hiding under that mountain of snow. Now the deer are eating anything that's left. I feel your pain.

o

I have something that just eats the leaves off the stems, and usually just the smaller plants. I have no idea what is doing it, but the cats are usually good about keeping the small rodents under control, so maybe a rabbit? Fortunately mine seem to recover, though if they ate them down to the ground I am not sure they would. Have you tried dog hair and/or moth balls around the plants?

o

Haven't done dog hair or moth balls. I did put a little wire fence around the columbine and it has recovered. None of the other native columbines were bothered. Maybe whatever it was decided it didn't like columbine after it ate the first one.

Penny

o

i have no animinals in my flower bed what is eating the leaves?

o

What kind of plants are being eaten? A couple of possibilities come to mind....inch worms (they just defoliated my one big columbine over the week end) and slugs would be my other guess.

Penny

o

I buy Garlic Powder at the Dollar General store and sprinkle it all over my columbine leaves. If I don't, chipmunks devour each stem!

o

Thanks for that little tip lori. I had not thought to just sprinkle garlic powder out there. In did have something eat all the leaves of the one columbine that was originally spared and I saw tiny green worms all over it. Someone told me they were inch worms. Anyway that was the on.ly columbine that bloomed this year. None of the others bloomed. I did end up spraying all of them after I found the worms with my own citrus based spray and added gharlic powder to it and that seemed to have gotten rid of the little green worms.

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here