laurelin
16 years ago

I'm really enjoying spring this year, and I thought I'd share some pictures:

{{gwi:632322}}
Tulip 'Early Harvest'

{{gwi:632324}}
Crocus 'Pickwick'

{{gwi:632333}}
Hyacinth 'Chestnut Flower,' a delightful double heirloom.

{{gwi:632331}}
Daffodil 'Ice Follies'

{{gwi:632336}}
Kaufmanniana tulips

{{gwi:632334}}
Unknown daffodil by rock wall.

{{gwi:632338}}
Unknown split-corona daffodil near forsythia.

{{gwi:632341}}
Lupine foliage after rain.

Please share your own photos!

Laurel

Comments (6)

• penny1947
    16 years ago

I have no photos unless you want photos of dead plants or no shows. My tulips never bloomed and my lupine is struggling to survive. Only about 3 of my daffodils bloomed.

Penny

• laurelin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Penny, that's so sad. You had such a long tough winter, too - some early color would have been such a cheerful sight for you. I think I'll have some no-show tulips, because they didn't perennialize (foliage now, but few/new flowers later). I need to top up those patches this fall with fresh bulbs.

Missing daffodils - that's a puzzler. Usually they're pretty tough. I have had some of the smaller cupped ones (triandrus, like 'Thalia, and jonquilla, like 'Quail, and miniatures, like 'Segovia') that aren't reliably hardy in my garden (RATS - I like the small ones the best!). The large-cupped ones seem to be the most rugged and dependable for me.

Laurel

• Aurore
    16 years ago

Laurel
    Great spring pictures- nice to finally see some color.
    You were so excited last year to get your camera I was wondering when we'd see some pics posted.
    Things are just getting started here. The daffodils are not open yet but are looking really great(if the neighborhood kids don't swipe them). The forcythia is covered in yellow blooms and also just starting to open. I'm surprised how well they survived all that snow. I'll need to replant the beds of grape hyacinths this fall. They've been going downhill a little each year. I have some very thick moss that is taking over the yard and doesn't seem to be doing the grape hyacinths any good.
    The college kids next door were using my garden in the back yard as their outfield...as if the deer and the woodchucks were not enough. I think my wood hyacinths will be okay, but the daylilies were trampled and may not bloom. I've got to get my gladioli planted. Usually try to do it around the first of April. Keep posting those pictures.

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

Lovely flowers! I have spring bulbs scattered here and there, but nothing all together. I'm going to try moving things early summer after they're done blooming and growing and put things in ONE spot so I can appreciate the show. Your Kauffman tulips are gorgeous! Unfortunately, deer smell mine from miles away and make a special trip just to get tulips.

Hope you can make it to the plant swap this year!

• tracywag
    16 years ago

Those are great! I haven't taken any photos yet, but need to. I am pleasantly suprised by the vigor of my sping thingys since the weather has been so diabolical. Looks like your garden stood up well too.

• laurelin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL, the garden seems to have enjoyed my semi-neglect since last fall. I had some health issues, and couldn't do as much as I normally would. I seem to be back in the swing of things now, and I've got lots of plans for the garden (mostly involving rearranging things for better groupings of plants, better fertilizing, and some general maintenance/mulching stuff - no big projects this year).

I'm debating about trying to host a Southern Tier plant swap this year. I had SO much fun last year that I'd love to do it again, but our June-July is looking really crowded. I think I could do it on June 16 or 23, but I'll have to talk it over with my husband. He was impressed with how much fun we had last year, and with all the plants we had together to share. If I can hostess again, I'll post to find out who's interested in the next couple weeks, and I'll ask then if someone else would really like to host it this year. I don't think I could make it out to western NY for a swap, as much as I'd love to.
    Laurel

A couple more pictures (I'm realizing how MANY daffodils I've planted in this yard - sheesh!):

Unknown small-cupped daffodil

Unknown daffodil - reminds me of 'Rip Van Winkle,' but I don't remember planting that one. . . .

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County