Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracywag_gw

How many Southern Tier gardeners do we have?

tracywag
19 years ago

I'm in Binghamton.

Comments (42)

• MrsRI
    19 years ago

I'm in Sayre,PA

• Carol_from_ny
    19 years ago

I'm in Owego.

• erica254
    19 years ago

I'm in vestal.

• dkotchey
    19 years ago

I'm in Apalachin

• crankyoldman
    19 years ago

I'm in Horseheads.

• waplummer
    19 years ago

Painted Post

• ldoty
    19 years ago

Hornell,N.Y.
    link to pond & garden pics
    http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=LARRYDOTY&p=220F

• cherrylane
    19 years ago

I'm also in Vestal.

• LoriAE
    19 years ago

I'm in Afton.

• laurelin
    19 years ago

I'm in Endwell (WAY too close to the river, but not as close as carol-from-ny!).

Laurelin

• Shdodanser
    19 years ago

I'm in Mecklenburg (outside of Ithaca).

• Carol_from_ny
    19 years ago

I'm actually farther away from the river than some of Owego. I've a very old house and it's built on land that the Indians use to camp on when they fished in the local creek and river....Guess they knew about the dangers of flooding even back then.
    I'm very glad I don't have to tote water from the local creek or river like they did it's a heck of a climb!

• susanzone5 (NY)
    19 years ago

What exactly is the Southern tier? How far east does it go?

• elgliders
    19 years ago

Elmira here. (Southport actually)

• barb_ny5
    19 years ago

I'm in Hancock, 45 miles south of Binghamton, which is where folks around here go to do their shopping. Since there doesn't seem to be a "local name" for our area of the state I count myself as a southern tier person by proxy. Greetings to you all. Maybe we can get together for a plant swap some time? Barb

• Carol_from_ny
    19 years ago

I've counted 14 that's a pretty healthy number.

• blackie57
    19 years ago

Endicott !!

• Angi4
    19 years ago

Endwell here! New to this forum, but not to gardenweb!

• cherrylane
    19 years ago

Well, now that we have this information. What do we do with it? Shall we get together for a plant swap? Can anyone host?
    I wouldn't be able to host, but I am willing to help in anyway I can.
    Sincerely, Chuck

• MrsRI
    19 years ago

I would be happy to host or help in anyway. I have a large property plenty of room for families to come along if Sayre (about 6 miles from downtown Sayre) is ok. Sayre is right off route 17 between Elmira and Binghamton. Melody

• cherrylane
    19 years ago

Thanks Melody! OK, we have someone willing to host. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on the subject? If anyone is concerned about transportation, I have a large car and can help.
    Chuck

• dkotchey
    19 years ago

I've never been to a plant. It sounds like great fun. I'd love to join and help out if I can. Maybe we should start on what month (spring or fall). This nice weather we've been having can fool us.

Check out the link I found about others from gardenweb that have done swaps. Maybe we can get ideas from what they've done in the past.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Swap Ideas

• barb_ny5
    19 years ago

I'd be interested in coming to the swap. I think Spring would be a good time, perhaps the 1st or 2nd week of May or whatever is best for everyone. Perennials should be a safe swap this time of year, and we can always protect any annuals we trade if weather threatens.
    Melody-how far a drive are you from Binghamton? Barb

• lazysusan
    19 years ago

I just found this subject. I'm in Vestal. Have a small greenhouse full of mostly annuals right now. Won't know if I have extras until I can actually plant end of May. Would love homes for some of this stuff after that.

Am trying veggie gardening in pots this year. The deer have won that fight! Starting small with carrots, radishes, onions, lettuce and spinach. Filled pots with topsoil, sand and peat today. Know I should probably use gro-mix, but can't afford to fill large pots with that. Anyone with experience?

Have a raised bed for tomatoes, and a 10-yr established raised asparagus bed (no I won't tell you where it is!). :)

Sue

• MrsRI
    19 years ago

Barb, Sayre is aboout 45 min from Binghamton, about 30 min from Elmira.

Chuck, If your going to host in May at the park, I'll attend and if we want one later on we can always use my house.

The link with the plant swap ideas is great.

Melody

• flybabytina
    19 years ago

I am just outside of Springville.

Tina

• ttlc
    19 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I live in VanEtten,Yes it is in NY right next to Spencer. We are 30 minutes from Ithaca, Elmira,Sayre,Watkins Glen.
    I tried a Plant swap last year in May. NO ONE SHOWED UP.
    I just found this forum. I wish I had found it last year. Now that I know about this I will be on here more. I always have something that needs a home.I am so Glad you are all so close.
    Terry

• Aurore
    18 years ago

The Albany/ Rotterdam swap is on for it's second year. If you are up for a road trip anyone with a love of plants and gardening can come. It's about three and a half hours from Binghamton (maybe less if you drive like my brother). I know the price of gas may make such a trip more than what some want to bother with. We had a good time getting together with other garden web members last year.
    I'm about half way between Binghamton and Albany.

Here is a link that might be useful: Upstate New York exchange page

• lumierefrere
    18 years ago

Hi. I'm in Deposit. I'd love a plant swap--or please adopt some of my tomatoes, I don't necessarily want to take any home but unfortunately I'm weak.

Barb

• Kris_in_NY
    18 years ago

New to forum...from Hector (north of Watkins Glen close to Senca Lake).

• Der_Rosenmeister
    18 years ago

I'm in Ithaca, NY. There is a great plant sale here this weekend, on Saturday May 14th at our local high school. Come check it out!

• htuckey
    18 years ago

I'm in Lisle -- just north of Whitney Point, which is 20 miles north of Binghamton.

• greekisme
    18 years ago

I'm in Kirkwood!!!

• wishnforspring
    18 years ago

I'm in Arkport.. 50 miles south of Rochester,NY

• Megsroses
    18 years ago

I'm in Big Flats and would like to invite everyone to the Southern Tier Rose Society's 32nd Annual Rose Show on Sunday, June 12th at the Big Flats Community Center ( Exit 49 off Rt#17/86) on Maple Street just across from the fire station.
    The show is open to the public free of charge from 2-4 PM.
    If you have some early blooming roses and would like to exhibit them, the show is open at 7 AM until 10 AM for exhibitors.
    We offer beautiful crystal keeper trophies for blue ribbon winners in 8 different categories.
    If you have any questions, please contact me.
    Meg

• hardy_transplant
    18 years ago

I am in Walton, Delaware County, NY.

• karen_13850
    17 years ago

I'm in Vestal, just discovered this website today!

It never occurred to me to search for other local gardeners before! So glad I did - there's a lot of great stuff here!

• nyzone5a_gardener
    17 years ago

I'm in Brooktondale, about 8 miles SE of Ithaca.

• genielassie
    17 years ago

Rushford NY

• alisonn
    17 years ago

Hale Eddy

-------

There was a nice garden tour in the Andes area on Sunday. Unfortunately, I just discovered this forum today or I would have given you all a heads up. Anyway, it's a yearly tour (in its 15th year, I think) sponsored by the West Kortright Center folks.

• chilloway
    17 years ago

I'm in the tail end of Hancock. Actually closer to East Branch. Have been "trying" to garden in my 6 acres of rocks for 24 years. Debbie

• terrasage
    17 years ago

ENDICOTT...WOULD LOVE TO HOST OR BE PART OF A SWAP!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH