Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting milkweed seeds for monarch butterflys

Posted by jerome69 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 19:24

has anyone grown milkweed plants to feed the larvae of the monarch butterfly? it seems that the monarchs are dwindling due to the lack of a food source. (herbicides)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting milkweed seeds for monarch butterflys

i will be planting for the first time this year. in fact, i just ordered 10 milkweed plants. :)

o

to lindalou; where did you order them from?could not find any info on where to plant them,such as sun and soil conditions. thanks

o

livemonarch.com has all the info you will need. you can order plants for $1 each and seeds for much less. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: great monarch info

o

I perchased Asclepias incarnata 'Cinderella' a couple of years ago from Menne's Nursery on Niagara Falls Blvd in Amherst. I had several cats on it the very first year but I think the birds may have gotten them.
Penny

o

I have common milkweed growing all over my property. I never cut it down, even if it grows in a flower bed. It really is a butterfly magnet. Not only have I seen Monarch butterflies attracted to it but other varieties of butterflies too. I also have other varieties of Milkweed but the butterflies don't seem to be as attracted to them as they are to the common variety.

o

They come up in my vegetable garden every year so I'm lucky. I let a dozen live scattered amongst the plants. It drives my husband batty but I love the smell of them and love the monarchs.

Last year I saw the prettiest thing. I was crouched down weeding and perched on one of the milkweeds big leaves was a baby tree frog. It was beautiful:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here