Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
April 1st and What's blooming

Posted by Jean_MDC z 4/5 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 1, 05 at 19:47

As I looked around our property today I was delighted to see some of our crocus blooming. Since we have mostly shade gardens it takes time for the snow to disappear and the wet ground to dry up. What do folks in the Albany/Rensselaer area have coming up? Give me a preview of what we have to look forward to.

Jean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: April 1st and What's blooming

Hello Jean!

I'm not near you in miles, but I'm zone 5/borderline 4, and we probably have similar things sprouting right now. I've got crocuses and reticulated irises blooming, and some hardy pansies that overwintered for me. VERY cheerful, espcially the crocus tomasinianus (a vibrant violet color with orange-red stigmas).

Blessed spring!

Laurelin

o

• Posted by Kareen z5 NY Renss.Co. (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 1, 05 at 21:35

Hi Jean,
This is a good sign....once the blooms start here it is nonstop till snowfall and I am sure its like that at your place too. Spring has sprung!!!!!
My earliest bloomers are under the bird feeder and I think the seed shells have hindered their bloom. I do have tons of dafs up but no blooms yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

o

I bet the reticulated irises are just beautiful. I know that I also have some miniature iris but they bloom later.

o

• Posted by RheaT Zone 5a (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 1, 05 at 21:36

Hey Jean, I think we must be neighbors! If you're borderline 4/5 then you must be uphill from us. Our elevation is 650 feet which I'm told makes us flatlanders.

Not a blessed thing is blooming here yet. We don't have early Spring flowering bulbs so I'm waiting for the daffs to do their thing. Forsythia is well budded but not ready yet.

However, I did see one sure sign of Spring today -- garter snakes mating!

o

Crocus tomasianus and C. tomasianus Whitwell's Purple, winter aconite, snowdrops and iris reticulata. Daffodils in bud so it won't be long now.

o

My crocuses are a little late but the 'vernus' and 'flavus' ones are very close to opening and so are my 'pushkinias' and eranthis. My iris reticulata were under a big pile of snow until very recently.. so they will need extra time to 'celebrate their liberation'!

There is a garden just around the corner from us with a big patch of daffodils in bloom for about 4 days.. It is so cheerful!

Anne-Marie

o

• Posted by LNMP z5 NY (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 3, 05 at 13:54

My daffodils and irises are just emerging from the soil. I hope to see the anemones soon, now that the snow has finally melted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here