Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Hummingbird Migration Update

penny1947
13 years ago

Rexford, Johnstown, Stanfordville and Rochester all have confirmed sightings. If you are in around or within an hour of each of these sightings please hang a feeder up now they are pushing northward and with our unseasonably lower than normal temps will have a difficult time finding naural food resources and will need a little help.

Penny

Comments (13)

• lindalou
    13 years ago

mine has been up and i am going to lowes today, to buy three more, until i can get my plants in and blooming. hope we all see some soon.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have two feeders up right now. One in front and one in back. Please only use plain sugar water and not the commercial nectar that has red dye. If you don't already make your own the recipe is 1 part sugar to 4 parts water.

Keep us posted.

Penny

• breenthumb
    12 years ago

I was surprised to see this post last week. Mothers day snuck up on me this year (busy, plus the weather) and that's usually when I see the first ones. Sure enough--had one at the feeder today.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well HAPPY MOTHERS' Day! What a great way to start the day! I had a migrant male pass through last week but still waiting on one to stick around.

Penny

• nyvoices99
    12 years ago

I got my first 1 May 4th, I was ready but they sure snuck up on me, as did missing watching the map:( It was about the 2nd when I looked at it the first time & they had moved right in on me, will do better next year:)Anita

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Still waiting in N. Tonawanda

• rosalinda_gw
    12 years ago

Got my feeders up the other day, but haven't seen or heard a hummer since. There are some enormous bees around. Saw one today I thought was a hummer it was so big. The hummers will be around any time now, fighting and dancing and complaining with their constant chittering in annoyance - bless their little hearts.

-Rosalinda

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have also seen a few of the large carpenter bees espcially on those few very warm days we had. Still no hummers at my place.

Penny

• rosalinda_gw
    12 years ago

Mine are back. Heard one yesterday but didn't see it. Early this morning heard it chittering away and saw it on the feeder. Nice to have them back.

-Rosalinda

• party_music50
    12 years ago

The males are back here (Utica/Rome) and they are HUNGRY! They have been sitting at the feeders for 5 or 10 minutes at a time since the wee hours Sunday morning. :)

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had two males show up last night and a female but I believe it was just a stop over for the night. The two males sat side by side at the feeder and the female was at another feeder. This morning I saw one male tanking up for a very long time as was the female just at dawn. Haven't seen any of them since. Hopefully those that have always been in this area will come along and decide to stick around. I still have nothing blooming except for a few random blooms on the coral bells and the native columbine
    Penny

• Whall1717_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I saw my first hummingbird at 630 am on may 30th 2011 ! It caught me off gaurd and thought it was a big bubbly bee ! I need to go to the store and get new feeders . Somebody wrote use clear liquid only and I don't know the reason why . I figure that I will get the premade stuff

• penny1947
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Billy,
    the premade nectar uses Red dye #40 and is suspected of causing liver damage to our already dwindling hummingbird population. It is also showing up in our honey bee honey combs making the honey completely useless and it has to be thrown away. I moderate a hummingbird forum and we have a couple of field experts/banders that are members of our forum besides just everyday folks. We encourage people NOT to use the pre-made nectar but to use plain sugar water. 1 part sugar to either 3 or 4 parts water. The plain sugar water is closer to natural nectar and doesn't have any unnecessary chemicals that can cause harm to hummingbirds. Our local populations are are becoming more scarce over the years. Please reconsider your decision to use the premade junk. A 5# bag of sugar is a lot cheaper than buying the premade stuff. I can make many gallons of nectar from a bag of sugar.

Penny