Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a ground cover.

Posted by mudlady Syracuse-z5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 07 at 20:45

My new doublewide is on a slab and the lot has a gentle slope. The west side of the house is on the spot where fill was needed to level the slab. The house sits on an artificial hill that is too steep to mow. I had originally hoped to truck in enough topsoil to ammend the drop off and make the area into lawn. Long story, but I can't get heavy equipment to the area and I have decided plan B will be to cover the slope with a prolific and hardy ground cover. There are no trees in that area and it is on the west side of the house. I live in Conquest, a Port Byron mailing address, where we often get brutal winds. In the winter we also get plenty of snow. I'm in zone 5. I would appreciate suggestions of a plant that would quickly cover the area and I want it to be something that is atractive year round. Once it is established and grows down to tne mowable lawn, it should look much better out there.
Thanks.

Nancy in Central New York
Rescued Siberian huskies Zeke, Vixen, Duke and Moxie
Rescued DSH tuxedo cat Timmy
Adopted DSH orange polydactyl cat Toby
Volunteer transporter of rescued/adopted pets
Please Google to learn about prosopagnosia, a neurological condition.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a ground cover.

Ditch lillies...they are sometimes called. Orange dayliilies that seem to grow wild in NYS. They spread quickly. Come up early. Are pretty cheap. And you never have to mow them down. They can cover a multitude of sins and are great for holding soil in place on slopes. Love the sun and can tolerate shade.

o

Groundcovers that are "fastgrowing", "attractive year round", and hardy to z5: I'd suggest vinca minor (periwinkle) or a creeping juniper. If you're willing to go higher than a groundcover, I'd suggest barberries, red-twig dogwood, dwarf rhododendrons, etc.

o
RE: Need a ground cover. AND

and Euonymous!!!! a great little "groundcover"-type shrub! :)

o

Some of the nasty aggressive groundcovers might be perfect for a place like this. Chameleon plant, gooseneck loosestrife, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here