Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulchy_gw

Does anyone keep a garden journal?

mulchy
17 years ago

I was just wondering if any of you gardeners keep a garden journal? This is my 3rd year for it and I have enjoyed checking back....I keep track of the weather, ws information, when certian plants come up and other highlights in my garden and special happenings!!!

Comments (12)

• reign
    17 years ago

I keep a garden journal. I don't include weather unless it is something extreme. I include photos of interesting varieties or something I haven't grown before. Lots of notes that trigger memories.

• faltered
    17 years ago

I started one last season and have enjoyed looking over it during the colder months, as well as comparing where my garden was this time of the year last year. I try to include temps and rainfall when I remember, along with what seeds sprouted when, when certain plants wake up outside, etc. Very helpful.

Tracy

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

I don't have one. I really should. I do have an overstuffed photo album that has pictures and plant info cut from catalogs. It is mostly of things I have growing or have grown. There are dream plants too. I do have a few actual plant photos from my yard in it too.
    Remy

• dirthappy
    17 years ago

I have one this year. I wanted to track the progess in the greehouse. It has when they were started, when they sprouted and then follow up notes after they were repotted. I also added a few pictures of inside the greenhouse.

• oldroser
    17 years ago

I'm starting my 6th year of garden journal and wish I'd started earlier. I record temperature, barometer reading and weather each morning (gives me something to enter in winter) and then go on to garden note.s Great to look back and find, for instance, that this year the season is 10 days ahead of last year. Try to put in when things come into bloom and sometimes when they finish, when veggies are planted and when picked, what plants are set out and where...
    I use a journal book by Penelope Hobhouse but it's getting increasingly hard to find, even for Amazon.

• tresbelle3
    17 years ago

Yes. It's fun to look back at the excitement of putting things in one year and the note the following year to never plant that one again!!

• garden_frog
    17 years ago

I really need to start keeping one. Maybe I will start now!

I know as time goes on, I forget what I planted where and such. I used to be so on top of that stuff, but not so anymore.

Anyone know of any good online garden journal sites? How's the one through gardenweb?

• reign
    17 years ago

garden frog - online you can use a blog. I keep mine offline in a little application.

Here is a link that might be useful: 30 trial

• bonnie_ny
    17 years ago

I have kept a journal for many years. I include severe or odd weather conditions, tags from my plants, how they do, when I transplant them and where I plant them. I also started one when I began landscaping my Dad's pond and when I started a garden at my grandmother's 11 years ago. My son bought her house last fall and I gave his fiance my journal from that garden. It was very hard to let it go because of all the memories in it but I knew she was excited to have a flower garden and this would give her the history of it.

• srrn
    15 years ago

HAHA, MY KIDS USED TO TELL ME I WAS SUCH A GEEK BECAUSE I KEPT ONE! GOOD TO KNOW I'M NOT ALONE...

• blueberries
    15 years ago

I keep one and I'm 17 years old. It's my first garden and I'm growing a lot of fruit so I took pictures of all my plants' tiny developing berries and can't wait to compare them to next year's production.

• penny1947
    15 years ago

I started one several times but as the season wore on I got so busy I didn't have time to keep it up.

Bloueberries I commend you! It is nice to see younger members taking an interest in gardeing both ornamental and produce gardening.

Penny

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists