Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What soil/fertilizer should be used for my vegetable garden?

Posted by uawsn 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 22:01

I bought a house and the previous owner had 200 sqft of land for vegetables last year. So this year what should I do to prepare for the upcoming season?

First thing I can think of is to dig out the land and add some organic matter /compost for the fertilization. I found the topsoil here:
http://www.troyslandscapesupply.com/BulkMaterial.html

Is these topsoil having sufficient organic fertilizer for the vegetables? Do I also need to add sth like chicken manure?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What soil/fertilizer should be used for my vegetable garden?

i had the same question and probably will just get another load of compost.don't know where you live but i get mine from the town of amherst compost facility. it was bought by the company (krantz). they raised the prices but still not bad.used it in the past.they will load a truck and sell it by the bag.

o
RE: What soil/fertilizer should be used for my vegetable garden?

I would mix in an organic ready made fertilizer. The one I used last year came in pellet form in a bag. It was a combo of things like potash, bone meal, rock phosphate, etc. Compost itself is just one source of some nutrients. It's main use is making the soil nice and loose and ready for soil organisms. After planting, I use Miracle Grow spray once in a while.

I don't use anyone's compost in my food garden because I have no clue what was in it. Last organic bag I bought had half of an old glittery shoelace mixed in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here