Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudlady_gw

Two questions

mudlady_gw
11 years ago

1. Does anyone know of someone in the Syracuse area who sells the wild blue violets that grow in so many people's yards? I moved to farm country 6 years ago and built on 5 acres that were planted in alfalfa and soy beans. No wild violets have come to take up residence and my neighbors don't have any growing in their yards. I did buy some white violet seeds several years ago, but I spilled them. I now have loads of white violets. My favorite is the ordinary blue violet and I would be happy with seeds or plants.

2. I live in Conquest (Port Byron address) and have no shade but I want to have a hydrangea bush. I want the traditional pom pom flowers and not the Pee Gee variety. I want to buy a bush that, in my soil, would produce pink flowers and I hope to treat the soil to get blue flowers. I would love the variety that reblooms in the summer and it has to be tolerant of full sun and high wind. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Nancy

Comments (11)

• booberry85
    11 years ago

The violets usually grow wild in my garden. I usually weed them out! I haven't done much in the garden yet, but when I do, I can dig them out and put them in a box and put them at the end of our driveway. It won't be this week (unless I get a day off). I'll post here when I do. I can dart you an email when I do to. I'm not far from you maybe a 20-30 minute drive. I'm in Skaneateles / Spafford.

I can't help you with the hydranga. I'm considering getting one, but I don't care about color. I think the flowers tend to turn blue in acidic soil (near pine trees). I would try Dickman's Nursery in Auburn/Owasco. There expensive but helpful with lovely plants.

• mudlady_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Booberry,
    Thanks for the offer of violet plants. I love violets so much I consider those that grow in a lawn to be a gift. Since you dig them out of your lawn I would love to have some plants. My email addy is listed if you click on my Mudlady name so it isn't a secret if I write it here as:
    istj at tds dot net.
    I try to take my Siberian husky for a daily ride and we would be happy to pick up any violets you are willing share.
    I already asked Dickman's about a sun tolerant hydrangea and all they had to offer were the Pee Gees. I will check Ontario Orchards the next time I pass there.

Nancy

• booberry85
    11 years ago

I'm glad you brought up Ontario Orchards. I used to love that place! I had a client in Oswego, so I used to stop there on occasion. The client decided to do stuff in house so I haven't been up there in a while.

You could also call Hafners in North Syracuse about the hydrangeas.

• booberry85
    11 years ago

It probably wont be this week. Sunday might be the earliest I can dig. I will let you know when they're ready for you!

• mudlady_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I love to visit Hafners and have bought from them a few times. My "lawn" is an acre and absolutely nothing was growing on it except alfalfa and soybeans. I spent a small fortune planting trees, shrubs and favorite perennials. For soil that grew fabulous crops, it has been a challenge to get a number of items I have planted to survive. Then, there are the suggestions I accepted and planted and found out I don't care for. Interesting corollary: Plants that survive and I choose to remove are always extremely difficult to kill.
    Nancy

• rosesstink
    11 years ago

Crops tend to be heavily fertilized so it could be that your soil is not as good as you think it is. Be sure to add compost to your planting areas. You might consider having the soil tested too. That way you will know what you are working with.

Your corollary is certainly true. The easiest plants to grow are often the hardest to get rid of. My experience, and frustrations, have me researching every plant before I buy now.

I like Ontario Orchards. Hafner's not so much - poor selection and not very knowledgeable staff. Try Phoenix Flower Farm when you're in the area.

• gottagarden
    11 years ago

If you have full sun, high winds, and alkaline soil, blue hydrangeas will never be happy. Why not get a different plant that will thrive in those conditions? Otherwise it will be a long drawn out labor with middling results.
    Rose of Sharon Blue Bird has the same color blueish flowers and would thrive in those conditions. Or lilacs. Or lots of others.

• booberry85
    11 years ago

I haven't forgotten about you. I was working in the garden yesterday and have some violet plants growing, but they are TEENY! I usually don't do the bulk of my garden until Memorial Day weekend, but with the warm weather, I decided to go ahead. I have not dug them up yet. I'm hoping they'll get a little bigger. Somehow they grew like weeds last year. Now that they could serve a purpose...

I'll keep an eye on them and let you know.

• mudlady_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Booberry,
    The extremely strange weather is causing things to happen that I have never seen before. Everything planted on my property is no more than 6 years old, and some are still quite small. My lilacs have grown and bloomed well until this year, when they set flower buds that have shriveled and died. No lilacs this year. I have three Redbuds and one Dawn Redwood that I fear may not make it. The Redbuds (my favorite trees) bloomed and lasted a few days and then the cold got them. The tiny leaves that had straited to appear are brown and dry. A few little immature leaves are hanging on. The Dawn Redwood, which had flourished over the years has some needle leaves that are dry and brown and a few tentative, anemic green needles are present. Losing four young trees will be an expensive loss. The white violets, on the other hand, are vigorous and spreading. Damn!
    Nancy

• booberry85
    11 years ago

Your not alone Nancy. My lilac bushes are relatively young. I had a similar experience with them. I don't know whats sadder, the ones with no flowers or ones with one pathetic bloom. I have a young smoke tree I just planted last year. It's not dead but its not busting out with leaves either. I have 1 year old Rose of Sharon plants I started last year too. again, not dead but not leafing out either. ~sigh~

Gardening is always a learning experience and Mother Nature loves to throw curve balls!

Becky

• booberry85
    11 years ago

Hello! I have a small (10" x 10" plastic) box of violets waiting for you at the end of my driveway! I'll email you with my address.