Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sappy_gw

will those trees really get that tall?

sappy
17 years ago

I live in the city of buffalo (zone 5b) and have a very small yard (30 feet X 20 feet) if even that big. My house (and an enormous neighboring apple tree) shades half the yard for most of the year. Anyway, what I'm wondering, when reading the expected heights and widths of trees, is does this information really apply here in the city of Buffalo. I was just in NJ and saw these huge magnolias. I have never seen such large specimens here. Today when I went to the nursery the woman assured me that the nootka pendula I was considering wouldn't get above 20 feet high. Looking into this tree online I see that it's listed as growing up to 75 feet. Is this in the wild? Ditto for the hemlocks I was looking at. She assured me that they won't grow very tall here, certainly not up to 40 feet as they are sometimes cited as getting. I am having a terrible time trying to get an evergreen back there. Shade tolerant, screening tree that won't overwhelm the powerlines and my tiny yard. Can anyone advise me?

I just bought my house and am trying to get a little privacy and green space. Last spring I put in a pagoda dogwood and a golden chain. (The yard previously was filled with gravel and nothing else.) I am longing to get something back there. I want to buy something local so I can see what I'm getting. Anyone here in WNY have any suggestions?

Thanks! Bridget

Comments (4)

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

This has been discussed in many forums, especially the trees forum, how to get privacy in the shade. You may want to do a search there.

If it is really shady, nothing will grow very quickly. Hemlocks can get quite large, but also can be pruned to stay as a hedge. But given long enough, anything will keep growing taller.

Why a tree instead of shrubs?

How about arborvitae or yew? Yew is slow growing but does well in a lot of shade. Vining euonymous could be trained up a chain link fince to provide narrow evergreen privacy.

Here is a link that might be useful: privacy trees in NY

• sappy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the link! I didn't find my answer there but helps me learn about other options. My height requirement is a real drag. I don't need a tree, a tall shrub is what I want, I guess. 20 feet because of the electric wires. The reason I mentioned 'tree' is because those neighbor kids (and their parents!) lean out of their second story windows and watch my every move. Slightly unnerving to look up and see that I have an audience. I was thinking a servicberry, which would grow to just the right height, in 15 years or so! A holly too would be managable. As for the arborvitae idea, I had considered it, even though I'm not a fan of it's looks, but since the October storm I am seeing all of these tall slanting specimens that were weighted down by that snow. The site is not full shade, it gets morning sun. I would like a hemlock. I don't need complete privacy, just a distraction from the side of my neighbors house! Alas. I'll keep reading the forum and hope I can come up with a good solution. Thanks for your suggestions!

• krazyaroider
    17 years ago

Sappy ~
    Have you considered the Japanese Tree Lilac, Red Buckeye, Various Magnolias, Japanese Maples, Fringe Tree, Paw Paw, Chinese Dogwood, Cornelian Cherry Dogwood. I have Mimosa (Albizia julibrissin) seedlings from a local source. I also acquired Mimosa 'Summer Chocolate' seed that have not sprouted.
    These will remain about the 20' mark that you mentioned.
    I grow all of these,plus large, unusual trees in my yard in Hamburg.
    Sources ~
    Johnson Nursery, East Aurora, NY
    Perry' s Nursery, West Seneca,NY
    Dan Majeski Nursery, West Seneca, NY
    Menne Nursery, Amherst, NYI
    Plus I use mail order for hard to find plants and start many from seed...

Hope this helps...
    ~ Gerry

• ridgetop01 (zone 5b)
    17 years ago

You might consider a pussy willow. In 8 years, mine has gotten about 10-15' tall, and about 8' wide, from a very small whip. You can prune out larger branches to keep the height down.