Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magicman2u

I Need 'Bleeding Heart' Help!

magicman2u
17 years ago

Well I noticed that my once large, Bushy , many blooming Bleeding Heart is not doing so well this year! I bought it in a 1 gallon pot 3 years ago! The first two years it was so beutiful! This year it is about 10-12 inches tall and only a few blooms! Is there anything I can do to help it or Reproduce it? I don't want to loose this one! Please Help!

Comments (11)

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Wayne I have the same problem with one of mine. One has gotten just tremendous and the other looks like it is stunted. I don't know if grubs or cut workms could be the problem. Mine are about 6 yrs. old.

Penny

• party_music50
    17 years ago

One of mine (up earliest) is sad looking this year too. Many of the flowers are *brown*! Once I saw that I realized that it simply didn't get enough WATER when it needed it. :(

• jannie
    17 years ago

Same with mine. Less than a foot tall, only one flower spray and it's maybe only four inches. And this plant was three feet tall just two years ago! Next spring I'll be careful to water this better.

• dirthappy
    17 years ago

Mine aren't doing well either. Not very big and only one bloom so far. I think it may be the frost it keeps getting hit with.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

I dug the one up that is doing porly and the roots seem to be just gbreaking off. I removed most of the soil and the big root that was broken down to a healthy section and replanted it in another area where I had more compost and better soil to see if this will make a differrence. I watered it very well now I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Penny

• lil_chick_lady
    17 years ago

I have had the same problems with my bleeding heart, i divided the once georgous plant and now they seem to be fairing much better. i'm not sure why but it seems to have worked.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

I don't dare touch my one good plant. It is the best looking think in my garden right now besides the tulips that will be gone shortly.

Penny

• pamghatten
    17 years ago

Same problem with mine, I think the frost and lack of rain has affected them. Mine loked really bad after they got hit with frost, and are now looking better. But much smaller than they should be.

Pam
    South Wales, NY

• Dottie B.
    17 years ago

I think you guys are on the right track....last year mine was very small and another one didn't return at all. This year I watered more (since mother nature didn't do it) and covered it everytime we had temps in the mid-low 30s and it is HUGE. She is at least 3' tall and wide right now and blooming beautifully and the one I thought was dead has put up some new leaves and it's about 2"-3" tall right now. It really poured last night so I hope she doesn't have any broken branches. This area is also very rich in organic matter.

• jannie
    17 years ago

I described my BH problems to a couple of gardening friends, they said it needs more sun. Maybe I can get DH to prune some of the black locust trees that shade my BH patch. The trees look bigger than ever. All the black locust trees are "volunteers" since we cut down the mokther tree about fifteen years ago.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Jannie the one I am having problems with is getting more sun than the others. It has been in that same spot for 4 years. This is the first year It has looked this bad.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!