Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirthappy

Planting this weekend, Your thoughts?

dirthappy
17 years ago

Is it too early yet? This is for planting annuals. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Comments (6)

• Dottie B.
    17 years ago

Hardier annuals like pansies, violas, marigolds, cornflowers and snap dragons should be fine planted this weekend. I tend to only plant in containers until the end of the month and then I have at it. That being said, I do keep an eye on the extended forcast and if the night time temps are supposed to be in the upper 40s or higher, I may plant other things early.

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Dirthappy,

I've already planted out a bunch of annuals - but I tend to take chances early since my yard is sheltered and in the river valley. Everything is happy so far, although a couple coleus leaves got lightly frosted last week. I've put out sunflowers, zinnias, coleus, snapdragons, alyssum, lobelia, pansies, verbena, heliotrope, amaranth, California poppies, and portulaca. There are probably a couple things I've forgotten. I did leave the zinnias covered with the tops of their WS milk jugs during the cool nights, and I haven't planted out the tender salvia 'Victoria' yet.

SO, go have fun! (Or, as Miz Frizzle from the Magic School Bus says, "It's time to take chances! Get messy! Make mistakes!")

Laurel

• booberry85
    17 years ago

I have radishes planted and coming up. I also planted peas and lettuce. I'm going to try and get broccoli and spinach in this weekend. I'm still going to hold off on tomatoes, peppers, squashes, beans and cucumbers until the weather is a little warmer.

• jannie
    17 years ago

Mothers Day is traditionally the last frost date, so next weekend will be fine.

• adirondackgardener
    17 years ago

June 1st here for tender plants, though I try to push it a bit. This year I'm setting out eggplants and peppers under plastic to get a jump on the season. (The same min-greenhouse will go back over the bed after Labor Day to extend it past our Sept 10th frost date.)

Tip: All mulch was removed a few weeks before planting to allow the soil to warm for heat-loving plants.

The broccoli has been in for a week or so and the pea, spinach, carrots, etc all have been sown for weeks.

Wayne

• dirthappy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I went by Massis Greenhouse today and they suggested to wait one more week. He said it could be done but could be risky. So I took everything out of the greenhouse and cleaned it and gave everything a good watering.