Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wantoretire_did

When to move some perennials?

wantoretire_did
16 years ago

Hi all - Happy Spring!

We had to have 2 huge pine trees removed on this southwest corner, because of damage caused by the February ice storm.

There are coral bells, bleeding hearts and columbine coming up alongside the house (where it WAS shaded). Should I move them to a semi-shady spot now or wait until they are finished blooming? I sure don't want the sun/heat to do them in.

This picture was taken before the cleanup was completed. Doesn't look so much like Kansas now.

Carol

Comments (7)

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

I would move them now. They only have small foliage now and ground is still cool and moist. It will be harder on them to be moved as larger plants when the heat and sun are more intense.

• penny1947
    16 years ago

I agree with GG,
    I am going to have the same problem. I have two trees in front of our house that are scheduled by the power company for removal. Up until this point my front yard is deep shade during the summer so I had coral bells columbine and hostas and azaleas in there. I am not sure where we are on the list for removal as they have all of this year to do the work so mine will have to stay put for the time being. I was hoping they would have it done by early spring so I can reevaluate what I will need to move. I also have a replacement tree to plant that really needs to go in the ground before I lose it but alas I am still on hold.

penny

• wantoretire_did
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you both. When I get the kinks out from raking and picking up a winter's worth of willow whips, I'll get busy.

Gotta - May I use your "winter ice" photo for wallpaper in August :-) Also, you've inspired me to paint a bench and put it outside.

Penny - Don't you hate it when you have to depend on other people for something like that. When we had a new garage built and new roofing and siding done in 2004, they started in May and right away stripped the old siding off, so I lost an entire summer, as they didn't do that part until just before Labor Day. It all seems like a bad dream now, but a real thorn in my side at the time.

What type of tree are you planting to replace the others? I don't see anything growing fast enough in my lifetime to be of help with the summer sun......

Carol

• party_music50
    16 years ago

I would move the heuchera and columbine now, because neither likes sun at all for me. The bleeding heart does fine in sun, particularly if given ample moisture, so I would wait until it bloomed and died back -- or not move it at all.

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

Carol, of course you can use any photos for wallpaper or anything. I am not concerned with "use" of my photos like some are here on GW. I consider it sincere flattery :-)

• green_panther
    16 years ago

I have my bleeding hearts in full sun and they seem to enjoy it BUT they are up against the house so technically thier backside is always shaded! LOL My columbine seem to do fine anywhere they sow them selves! I have some in full sun and some in shade. Well, that is my 2 cents. Have fun rearranging!

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Carol,
    I am going to replace the maple with a red buckeye.It really isn't as much for shade (where I am concerned as it is for my hummingbirds LOL). They are not fast growers but it should start to shade one of the living room wincdows in a couple of years. I didn't tell my DH that. He seems to think that all trees grow as fast as red maples. I called National Grid today to see if they could givem me some kind of schedule and they said they would check with Asplundh to see when they were going to be in our neighborhood....I sure hope it is soon. Besides the Red Buckeye, I have a weigelia that I want to move and a Bottlebrush buckeye that i want to plant out. I did plant out two of my Hesperaloe parviflora in anticipation but they are close enough to the house that the tree cutting shouldn't affect them.

Penny

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner