Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cats39

My First Hummer!

cats39
15 years ago

Hi Penny and All! 05/04/08

Penny I know you as well as others are alwas interested in hearing of sightings.

I observed my first Ruby Throat at my feeder yesterday afternoon at around 16:00 (04:00) PM. It was a Male.

I don't keep a written Journal but of the 4 years we have lived in this development this is the earliest known time I have seen one come to our feeder.

I generally expect to see them around May 10 thru 12 as that's when I have observed them in the past.

Yea! Spring is finally here.

Penny I did report this sighting to Journey North and I will follow it up to your reporting station.

Jim

Comments (29)

• cats39
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry! I didn't point out I live in Minoa NY about 4 miles E of Syracuse.

• penny1947
    15 years ago

That is good news Jim! Mine is very late this year. I usually see my first around the 27th-28th of April. I haven't seen hide nor hair of the first one yet this year. So many trees were removed last Sept. I wonder if it will impact their return here.

Penny

• nasikan
    15 years ago

Saw our first one of the year today - a female; and we're 7 mi. nw of Pulaski.

• penny1947
    15 years ago

It is good to hear that they are making the rounds in NY now. Maybe I will seen mine soon :(
    Penny

• dirthappy
    15 years ago

Saw the first one last evening around 7. I was getting ready to go inside for the night and she buzzed in. Sort of makes me want to stay home today and watch for them.

• vera_s
    15 years ago

Saw our first hummer (male) around 5:30PM today- right on time! We live near Dresden, about 5 mi. from Penn Yan.

• penny1947
    15 years ago

Well I hope they move west into Niagara county soon. This is getting depressingly late for mine.

Penny

• herbalbetty
    15 years ago

We saw our first one of this year on Monday, May 5. The Baltimore Orioles returned that day too. We live in Schoharie County, just west of Albany.

• penny1947
    15 years ago

Betty I think I saw your report on Journey North I have been scanning all the NY reports to see where they are all located. Today I saw that one was reported in W. Amherst last week.

Penny

• penny1947
    15 years ago

No sooner did I post my last post and walk into the kitchen and there he was all dressed in his new courting plumage....YES my FOS male is here!

Penny

• penny1947
    15 years ago

OH NO my FOS male was just stopping by for a snack as I only had the momentary siting and nothing since then...OH well maybe another will come my way and decide to stay in the area.

Penny

• breenthumb
    15 years ago

Saw my first this morning, a male. Usually its around the 15th but I put the feeders out last week. Penfield, just east of Rochester. Sandy

• penny1947
    15 years ago

Still nothing here in N.T. and I talked to my daugher in Hamburg this a.m. and she is still waiting too.

Penny

• jodeefive
    15 years ago

Nothing here yet either im on the border of west seneca

• clyft
    15 years ago

Is it too late to put out a feeder and have hopes of having a hummy come stay for the summer? I'm a new homeowner and just put in my first flower bed with bird/butterfly friendly flowers. I've been meaning to put in a hummy feeder but haven't had a chance.

I read somewhere that if you don't put the feeders out early then you might miss your chance to have the hummers find your house and choose to stay for the summer.

• penny1947
    15 years ago

No it isn't too late to hang a feeder. If they are in the immediate area they will find it. You just have to be patient. That that are already in the area are nesting now so they won't be coming to the feeders as often but once the eggs hatch and the nestlings develop some feathers they will come to the feeders a little more each day until the babies fledge. If you decide to hang a feeder don't use the commercial nectar with red coloring. Use clear sugar water (1 part sugar to 4 parts water.

Penny

• clyft
    15 years ago

Thanks! I bought two feeders last night and hung them out with some homemade sugar-water.

Thanks for the advice. :)

• penny1947
    15 years ago

clyft
    Your welsome. Let us know when they show up. My daughter in Hamburg called Thurs. evening hers just showed up.

Penny

• clyft
    15 years ago

I put the feeders out on Thursday and saw our first hummy on Saturday! It was too far away to see M/F/kind but I know what a hummy looks like. :)

I hope it comes back and brings some friends.

Caroline

• penny1947
    15 years ago

Congratulations CarolineQ I had two show up here early Sat. evening. One was definitely a male but the second one was at an angle that I could tell for sure. I do think it was also a male. The sightings have been iradic since with the cold. They are drinking long but not as frequently. I think they are hiding in the trees and shrubs to stay warm. There are still migrants in the deep south that haven't moved north yet so we all still have a chance of seeing more returnees.

Penny

• suesquatch
    15 years ago

We have two males and hung a second feeder since male #1 keeps chasing away male #2. I hope it works and they can both stay!

• gail14054
    15 years ago

I spotted my first Hummer a few evenings ago (and I'm not referring to the one that sits in the driveway). It was flying around one of my Lilac bushes, so I got the feeders out. Hope to see more.

Gail

• penny1947
    15 years ago

It is really important to hang at least one or two feeders as early as you can. Not just to attract your own hummers but to help pave the way for the migrants that are going still further north. Last week I had several show up one evening during the wind and rain. They hit the feeders like they hadn't had food in hours. By early to mid morning they had all departed toward their own breeding grounds. It really made me realize how important feeders can be to the other migrants that pass through our locations. Many birds won't make it if they aren't able to find food on their way northward. Remember they go all the way up into the Province of Quebec and it is very difficult for them to find natural food sources the further north they go during the spring migration.

penny

• jodeefive
    15 years ago

Saw my hummer tonight at 5 p.,

Yippee

Jolene West Seneca/South Buffalo Border

• suesquatch
    15 years ago

Well, we now have two feeders up and three hummers being all territorial.

:D

Do they stay all summer? Ours have been here for weeks.

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    15 years ago

Finally saw 1 yesterday at my front yrd feeder. Each year they amaze me at how slim and tiny they are. Mine was a female.

Melissa

• penny1947
    15 years ago

suesquatch
    Yes they will stay all summer as long as they have food shelter and a place to raise their young. The males will start the migration southward in late August/early Sept. then the adult females will follow and lastly the juvelinles will head south. It is very important if you are using feeders to keep the sugar water nectar clean and fresh especially when the temps start to heat up as it can ferment quickly in the heat. I change out my feeder every two days when it is hot.

Glad to hear that everyone's hummers are finally returning 'home'

Penny

• suesquatch
    15 years ago

Thanks, Penny!

Now we have FOUR males, and the one who would be king is trying like the dickens to keep the rest away. He's having such trouble guarding two feeders. Last night he was squabbling with one and a third swooped in to feast.

:D

• dkotchey
    15 years ago

Finally!!! I've seen some hummingbirds. My DH saw them first a couple weeks ago and I did not see any until this past Sunday. I have seen 2 different ones so far. I have a tropical hibiscus on my deck that they just love. I was standing next to it on Sunday there he was about 6 inches away from face!