Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anne_marie_alb

Question about a magazine

Anne_Marie_Alb
18 years ago

Just received for free a copy of Garden Gate magazine, and I really like the fact it has NO advertising, and that it does have serious information. Am thinking about subscribing, and was wondering if anyone had any comments...

I am also subscribing to People, Plants and Places ( which I like it a lot in spite of the amount of advertisements) & Organic Gardening. I used to subscribe to Horticulture but did not get much out of it (and it contained too many ads).

Any magazine you recommend?

Thank you,

Anne-Marie

Comments (10)

• mulchy
    18 years ago

Hi Ann=Marie,
    I have been getting Garden Gate for the past year, I have really enjoyed it. It is real down to earth and very informative.
    I also want to thank you for your information on walls of water on another posting.
    Mulchy

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for your input, Mulchy I think I will subscribe.
    Anne-Marie

• lilylouise
    18 years ago

Anne-Marie,

I've been getting Garden Gate since its very first issue and I love it. I keep every issue and refer back to them when I need inspiration. As Mulchy says, down to earth. Horticulture is a beautiful magazine but rarely helps me with my tiny suburban garden.

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Have been going through the magazine again and really love it. Wish I had had all the info about clematis last year! I'm sold on it, Lilylouise!.. Thanks both for your comments.
    Anne-Marie

• elgliders
    18 years ago

I too got the free issue of Garden Gate. I like the no-ads format,the quality of content and quality of paper it's printed on. I believe I'll be subscribing.

• starmoon
    18 years ago

I subscribed earlier this year to Garden Gate and have enjoyed every issue that I have gotten. I love the garden layouts! I think you will be very happy with this magazine.

-Channon

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

My favorite has been Fine Gardening. I have every issue since the first. The second favorite was Country Living Gardener, but they stopped and will be publishing specialty issues twice a year. I loved the garden writing.

GreenPrints is a garden writing publication, with essays and stories.

I haven't seen Garden Gate in 8 years. It seemed to be a great mag for beginners, though, back then.

• qbirdy
    18 years ago

I love Garden Gate, while I was disappointed in People Places and Plants. It seemed like PPP was more focused on people, advertising, and their staff than on plants. I will keep getting Garden Gate but haven't renewed People Places and Plants.

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks again for all your comments.

I do agree that PPP contains too much advertising, but I like to read about LOCAL gardens and.. gardeners. I like to read through Fine Gardening whenever I can get a free copy, but it is somewhat too 'formal' for me.
    Anne-Marie

• Dottie B.
    18 years ago

I LOVE Garden Gate magazine as well as Birds & Blooms, Birds & Blooms Extra, Backyard Living and PPP. I read People Places & Plants mainly so I can get a head start on new plants for this area, so I like the advertizing aspect of it.