Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why not to use premade nectar in Hummer Feeders

Posted by penny1947 z6 WNY (My Page) on
Mon, May 30, 11 at 7:22

I posted this info in another thread but thought maybe I should start a separate thread.
the premade nectar uses Red dye #40 and is suspected of causing liver damage to our already dwindling hummingbird population. It is also showing up in the honey combs of our bee keepers rendering the honey completely useless and it has to be thrown out. I moderate a hummingbird forum and we have a couple of field experts/banders that are members of our forum besides just everyday folks. We encourage people NOT to use the pre-made nectar but to use plain sugar water. The plain sugar water is as close to natural nectar and doesn't have any unnecessary chemicals that can cause harm to hummingbirds. Our local populations are are becoming more scarce over the years. Please reconsider your decision to use the premade junk. A 5# bag of sugar is a lot cheaper than buying the premade stuff. I can make many gallons of nectar from 1 bag of sugar.

The recipe is as follows: for each cup of water, use either 1/4 cup or 1/3 cup of sugar. I use 1/3 cup sugar in spring and then once the temps heat up and there are more nectar flowers blooming, I switch to 1/4 cup sugar. Make sure the sugar has completely dissolved before filling a feeder. Once it gets up above 75 degrees, the feeder should be cleaned and nectar replaced every 2-3 days so that the nectar doesn't ferment. A hummer will avoid fermented nectar or a dirty feeder.

If you want or need more information please feel free to Contact Me

Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why not to use premade nectar in Hummer Feeders

Thanks for the info Penny. I started using the homemade nectar a few years ago and have had plenty of success with it. Now if I could only stay on top of keeping the feeders filled/maintained.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here