Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

Enough of the sunshine. I want rain!

gottagarden
16 years ago

Didn't it used to rain in the spring? My gardens are bone dry and my transplants are suffering, and I'm too busy to run around with a hose all the time. Everyone keeps saying how lovely the weather is, they must not be gardeners!

Comments (20)

• hammerl
    16 years ago

I ran around with a hose on Sunday. It then proceeded to start to rain, so I put the hose away. By the time I finished winding up 100' of rubber hose, the rain had stopped. I surrendered and told my husband to throw sprinklers around yesterday.

• sunsi
    16 years ago

lol, I always thought too that people who didn't want rain must not be gardeners. :D

• faltered
    16 years ago

Tell me about it! We've hardly had any rain out here in Hamburg. It only sprinkled a few times over the weekend, barely enough to wet the ground (and the weathermen were calling for all-day rain).

Tracy

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

Here in Saratoga we had a fair amount of rain Sunday afternoon and evening. Enough that I don't have to water. Thunder and lightening also!!

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

My water bill is going to look like it is August!
    Remy

• husky004_
    16 years ago

Hey! Hey! Careful what you wish for!!!

• jeanie
    16 years ago

Rochester had offically .24 inches of rain my town Webster had .38. This is for the MONTH of May. This would be bad week but for a month it is pathetic. Rain RAin Come Again Please!!!!!

• laurelin
    16 years ago

I've had to go out with the hose a couple times already, too. I've been watching the transplants and seedlings carefully, and watering them sometimes daily. The weather gurus are predicting a good chance of "pop-up" T-storms today and tomorrow. I hope one pops up and drenches my garden.

Laurel

• emann8
    16 years ago

Last good rain here was Sunday. Since then I've watering by hand as always. Double the garden this year wow there's alot to water now. Filled my granddaughter's pool last night and found an extra length of hose, it reached all the way out too. Is a first, never used the hose befor always figure I needed the exercise. I don't mind if the rain holds off, if I water daily and the sun is out daily boy does stuff grow!

E

• penny1947
    16 years ago

My garden is so dry I had to soak it down some just to dig the weeds out BUT that said I am not really complaining because if it is too wet this clay just can't be worked. So I just wet down a section or two wait a while so it has time to work its way through the soil enough to soften it then I weed that secction amend the clay as much as possible and plant and water. T Then on to the next section if I still have any strength left. I don't dare complain especially since I complains about how long winter was this year. LOL! BUT YES It is way too dry.
    Penny

• penny1947
    16 years ago

GG, I can't offer any rain but you have mail.

Penny

• lilylouise
    16 years ago

I have dry shade and sandy soil so I water a lot in a normal year but this year-yikes it's nuts. The birds do appreciate the sprinkler, fountain and birdbath. thankfully we got rid of the pool this spring-just in time to do all this watering!

• penny1947
    16 years ago

GG,,,Did you get enough rain yet LOL! We got pounded last night but it was good my plants are extremely greatful. I have started planting out my swaps a while ago and I don't need to drag the hose with me!

Penny

• emann8
    16 years ago

Enough already!! Hard storm around 2pm yesterday then it rained again over night, and know has rained all day. Please stop wishing for rain.

E

• pixiegardener
    16 years ago

I think you got your wish!!

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

I'm loving it. Nice, steady soaking rain. It's stopped now so tomorrow I will pull weeds!!!! At least we didn't have any wind, which I thought would be part of it.

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Need more, need more. We got a nice solid rain, but still less than an inch. Young plants and trees want at least an inch every week, so the rain can keep coming over here! Send it my way if you have too much ;-)

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Well the rain has been good, I planted out some stuff between the downpours but now it is cold and that I can do without ...back in sweats and jeans.

p.s. I did get some weeds pulled out too btween showers.

Penny

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

We had a wicked thunderstorm mid-day. I think we've had enough for now. The stream is really flowing!

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

Had another smaller thunderstorm later this afternoon. Now its clear and windy. I hope it will dry up some; the yard is squishy!!

Carol

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH