Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
green_panther

The Humming birds are here!

green_panther
17 years ago

My bleedinghearts are blooming and that means - the hummers are here! For sure, the migration map charts them in our area - now I just have to make sure my feeders are ready and they are happy! Can't wait for my first visible visitor!

Here is a link that might be useful: Humming Bird Migration Map

Comments (13)

• Dottie B.
    17 years ago

I put my feeder up last week, but haven't seen any yet. My bleeding hearts are a good week or more away from blooming, so maybe they will come then.

• cats39
    17 years ago

Hi All!

My Daughter who lives across the street had one at her feeder yesterday. It was a male Ruby! Fed for awhile and scooted.

• dirthappy
    17 years ago

We saw our first one last night. Zipped in, drank, zipped out. Woo-hoo, spring is here.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

I had a male on April 29th. He came in tanked up, rested for the night, tanked up the next morning and headed out. haven't seen another hummer since. My bleeding hearts have been in bloom since this past week end. I also have a basket of fuchsia in bloom and a lantana in bloom and a coral honeysuckle in bloom.
    Penny

• penny1947
    17 years ago

FOS female showed up at one of the 7 feeders currently hanging at 6:35pm today Thursday May 10th. Hopefully this one will stay.

Penny

• green_panther
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Saw my first pair of hummers yesterday! A male and female made sure that I heard them whiz by the screen door and land right on the feeder at my window! What a sweet hello.

• cats39
    17 years ago

Hi All!

Left Friday morning on a fishing trip and came back early yesterday morning. Had my feeder up and saw my first Ruby on Thursday before I left.

Changed and added a little more of that good brew before I left and now have 3 coming to the feeder. I must have a new addition because he or she won't lite and always has the back or side view to me.

Drinks for about 15 to 20 seconds in flight and then lites in the backard tree. Comes back and has done the same thing last night and this morning was the first one at the feeder with the same inflight feeding.

Penny your the expert (not to offend anyone else) does it sound as though I have a newbee that might stay? I sugared up a little heavier to make it sweeter.

It's great to see 'em back!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Jim,
    She will more than likely stay in the area since she is arriving towards the end of the migration. Most birds that arrive now should be staying and establishing a territory.

I think I have three now ...2 females and a male. The male is elusive and I only see him early in the morning and maybe later in the evening. One female is also a bit elusive. The 2nd female has claimed her territory with two feeders mounted to a trellis with a new honeysuckle. She perches in the neighbors bordering shrubs so she only has a short 'hop' on over to the feeders. She isn't the least bit intimidated by my presence outside pruning and digging. She just sits on her tiny branch and watches.

Penny

• dirthappy
    16 years ago

Hubby wasn't happy with the infrequency that the hummers came in so he modified the food. He took the regular drink mix and kicked it up a notch with sugar. Now they don't just sip and scoot. They actually land and gulp. I think they like the high octane brew.

• suesquatch
    16 years ago

We got our first few ystdy!

• penny1947
    16 years ago

suesquatch
    Congratulations! There is another wave coming from the Louisiana, Ark and Miss so anyone still waiting should be seeing some soon.

Penny

• suesquatch
    16 years ago

Thanks! My husband spotted some in the woods around the wild columbines. Guess what we're planting more of?

;)

• penny1947
    16 years ago

I have large stands of the native columbines in two locations in my yard and oddly enough I have never seen any hummers using them but then they aren't as visible as a lot of my other plants unless I am out there.

Penny