Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
presmudjo

Need help in choosing plant to send to zone 4

presmudjo
18 years ago

My nephew's child's mother died in a car accident. His mother, my sister-in-law, is a very sentimental person and when I mentioned I wanted to send a plant for her to plant on the property to share with her grand-daughter as a memory, she was very grateful at the thought. Now, I could send a gift certificate, but that seems so cold. I would like to have a plant or tree sent to her, but as I haven't lived there in over 20 years, I don't know what will grow. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Low maintenance would be great as she works and they also have a mini-farm. The baby is less than 5 years old.

Comments (10)

• kklady
    18 years ago

So sorry to hear of your nephews loss.
    How about a lilac bush. They are so pretty when they bloom, and are great smelling. They only need trimming after they bloom, and are easy to care for.
    And bloom time for lilacs around here...zone 4 and 5 is mid to end May....a perfect time to remember.

• presmudjo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was thinking of a Lilac bush, but they are everywhere and I'm not sure if she already has some. I am waiting myself for 2 Lilac bushes that are said to grow in my zone 9 down here in Florida! Oh I miss them. I will have to plant it on the north side of house and where it won't get sun all day. Worth a try! Thanks and any other suggestions to choose from?

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Weigelia shrub. Not too many people have discovered those yet. They will bloom sometime this month or the first part of June. Blooms are various shades of red. Even small bare root specimens will flower the first year. Can even be grown as a container plant for several years in a large container. They are very hardy.

My first thought was of an azalea or rhododendron but they require acid soil and a bit more care. They are also gaining in popularity and more and more people up here are planting them. You also have to get one of the hardier ones.

Penny

• herbalbetty
    18 years ago

Rugosa rose. Forsythia. Maple tree.

• nantz_
    18 years ago

Perennial forget-me-nots. Planted in the shade they spread and will be gorgeous all summer..even if you mow them down.

• theraglady47
    18 years ago

We planted bleeding heart as a memory plant with my daughter after my father died. When she got her own home she took a piece of it there to continue the memory. It is very special to her.

• tresbelle3
    18 years ago

A Burning Bush is low maintainance and beautiful foliage. The Bleeding Heart is also sentimental as well as easy care and strong. Clematis is a flowering vine that returns every summer w/ease. I'm sure there are lots of others. Maybe just reading a few postings in this forum will give ideas. Sorry to hear your sad situation. Our thoughts are w/your family.

• wintigbo
    18 years ago

I agree with both theraglady47 and cremin I love both ideas the bleeding heart always is pretty and the burning bush is colorful even in winter against the white snow. I have Clematis (dark purple) and it is georgeous every spring / summer. I think, personally, the bleeding heart with a note, my heart is always with you (or something like that) would be forever appreciated. Im sorry for your families loss. God bless your newphew and his daughter.

• Sue_in_NYC
    18 years ago

An apple tree.

• presmudjo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions. I went with the Lilac because I was sure it was a safe bet. At Gardners Supply they had a set of 3 in different colors. I had ordered for myself from this company this spring and the plants arrived in wonderful shape and are thriving well. The Bleeding Heart was a good idea, but was not sure since there are animals that roam freely at the house.