Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with mulch

Posted by atibbs z5 NY (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 05 at 9:25

Last August I got married at my property in the Catskills. I had just recently seeded a large area with grass, but torrential rains flooded the space where I put my tent, leaving nothing but a huge mud pit. In desperation, I ordered 8 yards of cedar mulch to put on top of the mud, so folks would have a place to stand around without sinking up to their knees.

My question is what do I do with all the mulch? It's about 1 foot deep in an area roughly 40x20 feet. The area is a low spot in my yard. Can I just cover it up with top soil and re-seed? Can I make some kind of huge lasanga bed with it, or will it not decompose fast enough? I can of course just dig/rake it all up, but then I still have the problems of putting it somewhere else....

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with mulch

I would leave it there and make a garden out of it. Gives you an excuse to go buy plants! ;) You could also make it into a veggie garden. Just make rows in the mulch for the seeds or plants. If you don't want to keep the mulch I'm sure you could sell it fairly easily. Where in the Catskills are you?

Good luck!

o

Just my $.02, but don't cover it up and reseed as cedar mulch would be a bad foundation for a lawn area - if you really want grass there, you should get most of the mulch out of there, ammend as needed and then reseed.
You could pile the mulch somewhere to use later around trees, in ornamental beds and/or paths.

o

Pile it up, let it dry out and set fire to it?? LOL...

o

I would spread it out, so it's only about 6-8 inches thick, and plant shome shrubs/flowers that like wet area in it, keeping the mulch out away a couple of inches from their trunks. Polly

o

dIf you have a freecycle group in your area you can offer it to people on freecycle. There is always someone in need of gardening related stuff on our freecycle groups here in the Buffalo Niagara area Last year I got two 30 gallon trash barrels full of pea gravel that someone needed to get red of because they had more than they needed. I brought the containers, filled them up and away I went. What you can't use someone else usually can.

Penny

o

Thanks for all your input. I've just about got it all scooped up and piled in a little hidden area in my forest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here