Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Winter is back!

penny1947
17 years ago

Is summer ever going to arrive in WNY this year? I don't know about everyone else but i have umpteen pots and flats of plants and seedlings that are past due for being planted out. The ground is still too wet to really dig in even in the areas that have been well ammended and the cold wind is beating my little guys in pots to death. Yesterday afternoon I moved everything back into the garage because everything was being blown over and beaten down.

Penny

Comments (4)

• cats39
    17 years ago

Hi Penny!

It sure does feel like it. Have you noticed the slowness at your feeders when it comes to the Hummer's? I've had one solitary Male back since 5/7. I'm sure its the same, as he goes and comes in one direction everyday.

I had one Female that I saw I think on the 9th. She was perched on a close-by limb while I was sitting on the deck. She sat for a good 15 to 20 minutes but never came to the feeder and that was the last I saw of her.

But what I have witnessed so far and more-so over the past few days since the wet and cold seems continuous, is that the Male can only be observed in the early morning after day break and in the evening shortly before dark.

I haven't seen him at the feeder during the day at all. When he does come in the morning and at twilight he sits perched and drinks like it was insatiable. He drinks for as long as 15 to 20 seconds, takes a breather and then drinks again the same way for about 3 or 4 minutes.

Do you think he's in a state of torpor during the day even though by then it does seem to be a bit warmer? I don't have any bloomed (annual) attracting flowers yet so I don't know if he's feeding at the neighbors?

I'm going to keep my 3/1 mix (as you suggested)up until Tuesday and hope we'll be beyond the real constant cold by then?

I can't wait 'til Tues and Wed when the temps are going to rebound somewhat.

One highlight of the cool nights is, it sure is good sleeping weather and feels just like camping out when getting up in the morning. I'll be darned if I turn the heat back on :>)

Jim

• frugalflowers
    17 years ago

I think you're right Peggy! In fact, here in Sugarbush we're supposed to have snow flurries Monday morning!
    THis is CRAZY!
    However, I remember a few years ago, in June, I put my plants in the garage and they froze!

Jackie

• penny1947
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jim,
    I am noticing the same with my male hummer...early mornings and later in the evening after 6 or 6:30. Nothing during mid day. I actually think he is out trying to locate as many females as he can. Once he has provided his services and the temps get back more seasonable so that things start to bloom he will be back. I know that if you have any garden centers close to where you live, your male may be visiting them for additional nectar. They generally won't go into torpor during the day unless they feel threatened. Also, if you have any japanese honeyesuckle or our own native coral honeysuckle blooming anywhere in the area that is probably where he is hanging out during the day and then coming home to roost at night. My honeysuckle is a little late this year since I whacked it almost to the ground last fall when I moved it but it is just about to bloom now. In fact it should be blooming this week. Azaleas, and Rhododendrons and the buckeyes along with flowering quince and crabapple are all blooming so there is plenty of nectar available for them.

Until yesterday my females were still making frequent long visits to the feeders. I am not sure if they have gone into nest building mode now or if it because of the wind but they also are making less frequent visits to the feeders and then retreating to the tall bushes along our property line. Again if there is any honeysuckle blooming in my area they are in the midst of it.

I am still using my 3:1 nectar also and probably will until things really start to bloom around here this year.

Jackie
    SNOW???? OMG don't even say that word. I know we didn't have any all winter and I know I jokingly said that we will probably have a snow storm in June but honestly I didn't mean it. Hopefully we will have a sudden warm up and NO SNOW!!!!!

Penny

• faltered
    17 years ago

Brrrr! I'm glad we never turned the heat off in our house. It was so cold yesterday.

No hummers in my area, but I noticed there have been fewer birds at the feeders. They must be snuggled up in their nests trying to keep warm.

Brought my plants in the garage on Friday and then put them in the warmest part of the garage yesterday since it was so cold. Can't wait for summer to get here already.

Tracy

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions