Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningwitch

did anyone in the Kendall, NY area lose a dog?

gardeningwitch
17 years ago

She is soooo cute and friendly! The poor thing. The neighbors said she was sitting on the edge of the road where i found her from early in the morning till I found her yesterday evening. They said they didn't try to get her because she was a pitbull. That just gets me so mad....I said so if it was a mutt, or something else you would have helped her? Any dog could be mean, watch their body language. She came right up to me when I called her with her tail wagging, and rolled on to her back. Then she followed me to my house.

Nobody knows who she belongs to.

I wish I could keep her, but my husband was hard enough to deal with when I got Lily our Great Dane....

I called Animal control, but I'm not going to let them take her. Being Pit, they might put her down right away. The pet store down the street said they do adoptions....

I just had to vent about this poor sweet dog. She knows how to sit, takes food out of my hand VERY gently...did not seem to even care when the chickens walked by her. *sigh*

If anyone thinks they know who might be missing a pit...I have one!!

Thats why I posted this here, since it's sorta local.

Comments (5)

• hammerl
    17 years ago

Gardeningwitch,

There's a chance she's microchipped. Most vets nowadays have a scanner to check for microchip info. I'm assuming she has no collar.

Call the Town Clerk and ask if there are reports of lost dogs, sometimes they get notice.

I don't know what newspapers (including freebies) are in your area, but check them for lost dog ads as well.

Unfortunately, since she was sitting at the side of the road, I have a bad feeling someone drove her there, dumped her, and left, and she was waiting for them to come back (which they never will).

Good luck. I hope I'm wrong, and that she just got away from somewhere, got spooked, then got lost.

• shimla
    17 years ago

Some of the local papers will put a free found ad in for you as a public service so make a couple of calls. It sounds to me like she was left by the owner there and was sitting in the same spot waiting to get picked back up :(

Our local shelter is fussy about the animals they take in and won't take an aggressive dog. You might have to try adopting her out yourself. (Try freecycle in your area). If you do go the route of adopting her out yourself, you'll have to take the time to really screen the people. It's hard to find a suitable home for a pitbull where the animal will be cared for correctly.

Do exercise a bit of caution with a new animal. We adopted an adorable cat that was abandonded. The nicest disposition ...until she got comfortable in our home. She turned out to be very nasty which is why she got dumped in the first place, I'm sure.

Good luck and let us know how she makes out!

• gardeningwitch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, here is an update:

Animal control came out and said they do not place Pitbulls. So basicly she would have been put down after 5 days. I told her I would take care of her and find her a home. She also said that whoever had her didn't take care of her. The dog warden in another town that I called said they found a male pit last night, very friendly but dirty. They don't find pits that often. So the theory is someone dropped them around town...

I called a local pet store, and the owner who owns 2 pits herself said she would take her! so I dropped her off, and they said she will get a good home.

I named her Matilda.

• jannie
    17 years ago

Gardenwitch,so happy to hear there's a happy ending! Bless you for helping her!

• breenthumb
    17 years ago

Thanks for the happy update. My DD and her husband adopted a pit bull found chained to a fence in Brooklyn, obviously used as bait for training fighting dogs and had recently had puppies. Thank goodness this sweet dog is finally getting the vet care, love and attention she deserves. Given her tough life it might be expected for her to be aggressive, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Thank you for helping Matilda. Sandy

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company