Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigpaulie1972

Best Fruit Trees for Monticello/ Sullivan County Area

bigpaulie1972
16 years ago

Hello. I have a rental property in the Monticello area right on the Neversink river. We have spent the last year completely renovating the inside of the house and also had to have several very old large cedars and pines removed because of the damage they were doing to the roof and siding.

Now that we have finished the insides we are turning our attention to the landscaping. Me and my wife want to plant some fruit trees and also want some low maintanence flowering shrubs for foundation plantings. The house has power lines running in the front yard about 40 ft from the front of the house along the road. We need trees that will flower and fruit but wont get so big as to hit the power lines in the front yard. We ate some plums from a farmers market last fall and they told us they were grown locally within an hour of the market. They were small and had a pointy tip, very dark purple/blue. We would love to get several of these if we could find the cultivar. They didnt know the name at the market.

Also for the foundation plantings we were hoping to get something that flowers in the spring. Do azaleas do well in the Sullivan County area and can anyone from the area tell me what the soil conditions usually run? acidic/alkaline? As far as shrubs go what are the most easy to care for since we will only be at the house for no more than 8 weeks a year in four, 2 week periods. So we are looking for things that only require some light seasonal pruning and fertilizing. Thank you in advance for all your help!

Comments (3)

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

You might want to post this on the Hudson Valley forum. This forum seems to be geared to a somewhat colder climate than your area.

Also,I would suggest going to some good local nurseries (not big box) and they should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Happy hunting

• potsnpans
    16 years ago

I don't live too far from you!
    The deer in my yard seem to eat even the 'deer resistant' plants / shrubs that are advertised as such. You will definately need to fence any young trees, especially fruit trees. Fences need to be extra strong as the deer will raise up on to their back legs to try to get the tree. Sorry not to be able to recommend any fruit types, but do be sure to get cold tolertant ones, try for at least zone 4 minimum. The deer will nibble any deciduous young tree new to the area, these nibbles can kill a young tree. I have only had luck (no fence) with hemlock / pines. Pay alot extra for tall trees, only the bottom branches can be reached. With a couple of feet of hard snow on the ground, they can reach even higher!
    The soil in most of Sullivan can be very acidic, look around for acidic loving plants in your yard - mountain laurel, hemlock, blueberries.
    I do see some azeleas locally, though I am not sure if they had to be fenced to protect from deer, they will grow well.
    I have had luck with (no fences that is) Barberry, boxwood and hardy geraniums. All are very low maintanence and the geraniums and barberry have a natural look to them.
    Be sure to catch some of the fine trout in the river, and look for small streams feeding into the Neversink for the native Brook trout, mm mm good!
    Bill

• Wendy Fried
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If the- deer had a difficult winter they will even eat wood. Each year is different. I'm in Rock Hill on weekends, the soil is full of rocks as well as hard as rocks. Made some small beds -- you need lots of time up here for some reason. I've always had great luck with foxgloves and cleome - the deer don't go near those and sometimes they re-seed and pop up in strange places. Finally I gave up the dream of a flower garden around the house, but I do have some nice perennials and the deer don't walk up on the deck (not yet)! :)