Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greekisme

suggestions for medium height hedge?

greekisme
18 years ago

Our neighbor just paid for 6 gigantic pines to be cut down between our property. It is wonderful for his garden and our small pool to get the sun. However, we are now totally exposed and on top of eachother in our back yards!!!

We would like to put in some kind of privacy hedge, but not too tall - I would think 6-10 feet max. I don't know too much about hedges. I really like anything that flowers or has beautiful color - my husband is partial to evergreens. Whatever it is, it has to be winter hardy, we are in zone 4 in central NY.

boxwood too short?

Alberta spruce?

burning bush too short and too sparce?

rose hedge too short?

a mix of flowering shrubs and perennials too sparce for privacy?

I would love any ideas. Creative is good. I really like flowers and color - but it does need to serve it's purpose of providing a medium height screen. Thanks for your input!!!!

Comments (7)

• penny1947
    18 years ago

How about rhododendrons or azaleas or maybe a combination of the two. Another choice would be Weigelia. Rhodies and azaleas need some shade and acidic soil to do well. Thew\y flower in spring. The weigelias can grow in full sun or partial shade and flower late spring to early summer.

Penny

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

Weigelas are nice and grow relatively quickly, and flower as well.

Alberta spruce do not hold up well in any kind of wind, they get winter burn and must be in a very sheltered spot.

In my opinion, roses don't make a good hedge.

Boxwood would be big enough, but grows slowly. Also suffers from winterburn.

Burning bush would be tall enough and thick enough if pruned properly.

Privet (ligustrum) is boring, but reliable, fast growing, and makes a great hedge.

Yew (taxus) makes a nice hedge and is evergreen. Takes a while to get started, but will fill in nicely.

Holly can make a nice hedge, but leaves are spiny.

Lilacs planted closely make a quick growing pretty screen. Just don't try to prune them like a hedge. It would be rather wide. Low maintenance as won't need pruning.

Good luck!

• lilylouise
    18 years ago

I have a similar problem and have considered the following:
    Ornamental grasses, rose of sharon, and a tapestry hedge of a variety of plants. by the time I make the decision we'll probably move!

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Lilylouise
    The rose of sharon would get quite tall. One of my neighbors used them as a screen as opposed to a hedge.

Penny

• tresbelle3
    18 years ago

Forsythia?

• laurelin
    18 years ago

Greekisme,

Our neighbors cut down the pine trees between us last year. I could have cried! We have a magnificent view of each other's lives now, and since we're on the downhill side, there's NOTHING we can plant to totally block the view without having it take up half the yard at it's mature size.

But, sometimes a little distraction is worth a large hedge - it depends on how MUCH privacy you want. We planted a good-sized dogwood tree a little way out from our picture window; when you look out, it draws the eye down and into the yard instead of up to the neighbor's deck and kitchen.
    A mixed/tapestry hedge might be more of a visual draw for you than a single-species hedge. On the other hand, a monochromatic hedge is a great foil for lower planting in front of it. In my part of central NY (zone 5/borderline 4) I've seen hedges from arborvitae (a.k.a. "deer candy), lilacs (very effective, but also quite wide unless you look for a more upright-growing cultivar - there are some), privet (a maintenance nightmare - pruning, pruning, pruning to keep any decent shape), burning bush (nice and thick, only needs pruning if you really want to keep it to a certain width - even the "dwarf" euonymus alatus 'Compactus' ones want to be 6 feet tall), yew (more deer candy), and rose of sharon (the double-flowered ones are a pain when it rains - they bend over and the bush gets deformed by the weight of the wet flowers, so the single ones are MUCH better).

There's my two cents - good luck regaining your privacy!!

Laurelin

• greekisme
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Laurelin,

You have a lot of really good ideas. I did consider that if we did go with the evergreens, I could still plant other flowers or flowering shrubs in front of them, making the best of all seasons! My husband is really pushing for the evergreens - so I guess this is probably the best solution.

Is anyone familiar with the success or failure of planting clematis or climbing roses to climb and evergreen hedge?

Am I nuts to even suggest such a thing???

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022