Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how deep to plant bare root astilbe????

Posted by greekisme Z4NY (My Page) on
Tue, May 24, 05 at 11:02

This is the first year I have purchased bare root plants in those eye-catching boxes at Sam's Club. I had great success with my peonies - all of them came up and are thriving!!! The hostas, menz-a-menz. Only about 1/5 of the plants have come.

My question is this.... I also purchased bare root "Amethyst" Astilbe. They came with plently of root and each of them had a small whitish "stem-like" looking thing coming out the other end. Sooooo, I assumed that I should plant the roots under ground and leave the white sprig of the plant sticking up out of the dirt. Now that I think about it??? Did I make a mistake? Should I have planted the entire thing deeper?

I can't really tell if they are growing or not. It has been very cloudy and rainy - not much sunshine.

Any insight you have would be appreciated. Thanks, Athena

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how deep to plant bare root astilbe????

I have about four or five that I planted last year that I just dug a hole deep enough for the root ball to fit. An inch of soil covering it should be plenty enough.
I gotta tell you, these things REALLY LOVE the shade! I wound up moving them all to complete shade last year because the ones I already had in the shade were out performing the ones in part sun. They create nice foliage and the one that was in complete shade is already about 14 inches wide and 10 inches tall (without the flowers..no flowers on it yet).

o
RE: how deep to plant bare root astilbe????

I think you did fine....I too planted 5 new bareroot ones this year in addition to the 2 I planted last year...I am hooked on them. And I agree, the blooms seem to be softer, larger and last longer when they are in mostly shade. Most of mine get more sun they I'd like, but I am working on that...planted a redbud and dogwood to create more shade for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here