Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Types/names/sources for glads I don't have to dig up?

Posted by PhylRae z5a/centralNYS (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 05 at 11:04

I read the post about when to dig up glads for winter. Some of you mentioned winter-hardy glads that can be mulched over successfully. Can you give me some names and sources? I'm in the Syracuse area. Thanks so much. Phyl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Types/names/sources for glads I don't have to dig up?

Crocosmia come up every year for me in my south-facing garden against the house (protected area).

o

"Baby gladiolus" are the hardy type (cross between G. colvillei and others. I bought mine from a cheapie mail order company (burgess) where they simply marketed them as "hardy glads." They are shorter, only up to 2 feet high, but just as pretty and do not need to be dug up. Hardy to zone 5.

o

I plan on getting the hardy glads when my regulars quit coming up but so far this is the 3rd. year that they have returned (just starting to come up). They are planted on the south west side of the house in a slightly raised bed. I guess there is enough heat to sustain them. I don't mulch them either.

Penny

o

I bought some glad bulbs, on the bag it says they did't have to be dug up in the winter.. which is why I bought them.. then I read that they do have to be dug up before winter in zone 6.. so I am annoyed about that.. I have to check the bag and see what type they are. maybe they r the type that can stay put..

o

Hi--I live in zone 6 near Rochester and never dig up my Glad bulbs. I plant them on the South side of the apartment. I have, also, perennial Glads which I bought at Dutch Gardens-other Catalogs have them also. The blossoms are smaller and they are shorter; but still very nice.
June

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here