Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tresbelle3

Dappled Dwarf Willow Tree...anyone have any thoughts?

tresbelle3
18 years ago

I saw a little one on sale at Hewitts and I like it b/c it says that it stays little. It looks like a lot of other trees so I'm not sure if it is common around here or not. Has anyone had one of these and are they desease resistant? It also said it is hardy. Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments (14)

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

Hard to tell from that description, maybe you can describe it a little more. However, please check and see if you think it might be Salix integra 'Hakuro-nishiki'. That's a very common one at present. It can get about 8 ft tall, however it can be kept at about 3-4 ft, which is actually good to maintain the variegation. If that's not it, please give more of a description, and I might be able to help. Polly

• tresbelle3
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, that's it. Would you recommend it in a North facing garden w/sun for 1/2 the day? Also to keep at 3-4 feet do you just keep trimming the round shape down every spring? I'm putting steps in a curved hill and in the round inner circle of the curve I'm thinking of a perennial garden w/ a special small tree in there as a focal point. Do you think that's a good idea?

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

Sun 1/2 day should be fine. You are right, just trim it in the spring. This willow, as any other, needs a lot of water. I think it would make a very good focal point for a perennial garden, just keep in mind it needs to be watered a lot, so you will need perennials that can take a lot of water. We have had no disease problems, whatsoever, but its leaves can turn brown really fast if it dries out, however its quick to resprout. I think its a great shrub. Enjoy. Polly

• millerjoe49
    18 years ago

I planted this tree in my backyard in the spring. The tree gets a full day of sun and is doing very, very well. The question I have is that the branches seem to be growing at an incredible rate and growing faster than the trunk can handle. We had a good rain and wind storm last night and the tree was swaying to the point I thought the trunk would break. If the branches had been trimmed back a bit, I think it would have been able to handle it better than it did. I've read two different thoughts on trimming this tree. One was that you could trim it back multiple times during the year to promote new growth with color. The other idea was that you should only trim it back in the spring so you minimize the stress on the tree and so you can enjoy the color of the branches throughout the winter. Any thoughts on this? Also, when I trim it back how should I trim it? Should I give it an umbrella look (trim the low hanging branches), or trim into a globe shape, etc? I know its ultimately up to me, but I don't want to trim it and have it look like c%@p. Thanks.

• jeanghair
    17 years ago

hate to sound dumb but do you just trim the limbs or do you cut any on the trunk when you prune

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

This is a very tough plant, it is, after all, a WILLOW.

If you want a shorter plant, cut the trunk to the height desired. If you want want it taller, leave the trunk alone. You only need to prune if you have dead branches, want to force new coloration, or want a different shape. It doesn't have to be pruned.

BTW - they are very very easy to root. I just stick fresh cut branches in the ground in the spring and they root.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Speaking of willows, has anyone tried growing a Desert Willow (Chilopsis linearis). It isn't really a member of the willow family but actually in the Trumpet creeper family.

Penny

• misspriss_2008
    15 years ago

Since planting our dappled willow it began shedding the leaves and looked as if it was going to die. We have finally "mastered" the problem. My question now is it has twigs growing from the base of the tree and also on the sides of the tree. When and how can I cut these off and can they be planted in a pot and grow? Also, we were told to water the tree twice a week. Anyone with any solutions?

• gottagarden
    15 years ago

You can cut off branches at any time. They will root if they are kept in moist ground. Water twice a week for the first month to get established, then once a week for the rest of the summer. It shouldn't need any extra water next year.

• gizmo1947_homail_com
    12 years ago

How do you sart a dappled willow tree, not a shrub and how many yrs would it take for it to get 8-9 feet

• rosalinda_gw
    12 years ago

The dappled willow tree (Hakuro nishiki) IS a shrub that has been restricted to one stem/trunk. You will need to cut any branches and remove any buds that sprout along the stem. It takes about 2 to 3 years for it to firmly establish its root system, and then you can do whatever you like to it, including chain sawing it to the ground when dormant and starting all over as a shrub or tree. I have heard of folks grafting this willow like they do with the weeping goat willows, but don't see why it might be necessary.

If the top gets too heavy for the stem, you might want to stake the stem to support it, and/or keep the top trimmed up so it isn't too heavy. I have a dragons claw willow I use as a morning glory trellis, and this year with all the rain, the weight of the top bent it over in an arch, so I gave it a good haircut.

Figure 3 years for 8 to 9 ft height.

As with all willows, remember the root system goes deep and seeks water, so keep it far away from septic systems, water lines etc.

-Rosalinda

• Tina Buell (Z9b)
    8 years ago

Does anyone know where I can purchase a dappled willow grafted tree?

• HU-929706693
    10 months ago

2 questions, do dapple willow bushes like diluted coffee or epsom salt diluted with water(1TBSP to a gallon of water).

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living