Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kim1111

Rochester-area Gardeners

kim1111
18 years ago

Hello all!

I'm new to the Rochester area and want to locate all the gardening resources in the area. I'm near the lake in North Greece. I'd love to hear some recommendations for garden clubs, nurseries, garden centers, public gardens, etc.

I've been gardening for years in northern New England and am pleasantly surprised to find that this is the highest "zone number" I've ever lived in!

Thanks!

Kim

Comments (6)

• dontknow
    18 years ago

Hello.

You may have already found some of these:

VanPutte - North Greece Road
    The Garden Factory - Buffalo Road

Also..Harris Gardens, Wayside, and don't forget the Public Market downtown.

• gottagarden
    18 years ago

GO to a nursery and get the Upstate Gardener's Journal. It's free and list all the different events, nurseries, etc.

The RCGC Rochester Civic Garden Center puts on lots of great events.

Welcome to Rochester!

• lilylouise
    18 years ago

For perennials-Sara's in Brockport. Worth the drive.
    Close to you-Green Acres on Latta Road.

• PollyNY
    18 years ago

Hi Kim, welcome to Rochester. I live about 60 miles east of Rochester, but spent a lot of my youth in the city with a beloved aunt, and try to get back often. If you don't get a lot of replies here, I would expect that's because everyone is out sniffing their beautiful lilacs. My favorite place to be is Highland Park, not just for the lilac festival, but to see the flora spring, summer and fall. My favorite nursery there is Wayside, in Macedon-- not too far out of the city. Polly

• marybz5ny
    18 years ago

Hi Kim,
    Welcome. I am in Hilton - just a few minutes from you. We are having our Western New York Plant Swap this Sunday (6/5) in Albion, which is about 30 minutes west of me. Many Garden Web people from Buffalo and Rochester areas will be there. It would be a great place to meet some new gardening friends if you are free. You're welcome to ride along with me if you'd like or I can give you directions.

I have to also say that Sara's in Brockport is one of my favorite nurseries. I also like Bristols Garden Center in Victor.

Hope to hear from you.
    Mary

• flowerlady411
    18 years ago

Hi Kim,
    Welcome to Rochester. I am the floral manager at the Wegmans store near you, at Latta Rd and Longpond, and live nearby in Hamlin, so I know your area pretty well. Green Acres on Latta Rd is excellent. The staff is very knowledgeable and the selection is good. I send my customers there for anything that I don't stock. Sara's in Brockport is great too, especially for pond stuff.
    On June 18th, the Greece Performing Arts Society hosts their garden tour from 10-2pm. That might be a great opportunity to talk with other gardeners and see what we like to grow here. The theme this year is Sun, Shade and Sand and there are 7 featured gardens, a perennial plant sale and a book sale as well as musical entertainment. My mom and I went last year and really enjoyed it.
    I love the Rochester Public Market too, but June 5th was the final "garden Sunday" for the season. As others have mentioned, the Civic Garden Center does a lot and Monroe County has a great Master Gardener program.
    I think you'll find that gardening is among Rochester's favorite pasttimes and we have lots of resources in "the Flower City."

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus