Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bald Eagles in WNY

Posted by pamghatten wny5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 9, 06 at 12:28

I know they are already in WNY, but this is the first time I've seen a Bald Eagle in my neighborhhod, and I think it's just WONDERFUL!

My neighbor told me there's a pair, I've only seen the mature adult of the pair. No mistaking that white head. I was sooo thrilled. Apparently Beaver Meadows has seen the pair also, they're not that far away.

It's encouraging to think that a species that we almost killed off 30+ years ago has made such a comeback.

Pam
South Wales, NY

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bald Eagles in WNY

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, May 9, 06 at 18:17

Hi Pam,
It is exciting. Last year, I saw one on the north end of Grand Island flying pretty low, and I almost drove off the 190, lol. There is, or at least was, a nesting pair living on either Strawberry or Navy Island so I guess I saw one of them.
Remy

o

We have one in our neighborhood that roost at the top of a very tall pine tree about 4 doors away. I don't see it often but when i do it is usually flying back to the nest. One day she soaredright over my back yard while I was out there and I was in awe.

Penny

o

Just watch out those of you that have small dogs or outdoor cats.

I was on vacation with my fiancee two years ago and we actually saw a small dog get lifted off by a bald eagle. Not fun for the owner, as you could imagine!

But they are amazing birds.

Tracy

o

I'm in the Binghamton area. While building the Presidential Helicopter Building in Owego NY we were honored to have a pair of Bald Eagles watching our work progress. They would fly in fish the pond then sit in the trees and watch us work.The interesting part was we were being watched by Americas greatest symbol while constructing the building that our next presidents helicopter would be built in.Talk about Big Brother watching! The pair nests nearby on an island in the river.There are others . I'm told one that flew over my truck while driving up Kattelville Hill is one of a pair nesting at Chenango Valley State Park.Last winter I made a short trips to the Cannonsville Resv. area. Between there and the Binghamton area I saw 10 different eagles in one week.They are awsome beautiful birds.

o

The birds in Owego mirgrated down from Ithaca. They've been wintering on the island for a few years now. They are a wonder to watch fly thru the skies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here