Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant bulbs?

Posted by lblack61 z4-5 NY (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 05 at 12:41

I have Dahlias and Begonias in particular that I want to get into the ground. Is it too early?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
More bulbs...

I forgot to mention Ranuculus.

o
RE: When to plant bulbs?

Those don't go directly in the ground. They get started early in pots inside, then get planted out after all danger of frost with the tomatoes. If they aren't started early, they'll decide to bloom around the end of August or so, just about the time they'll start getting unhappy with the cold weather.

o

I'm going to plant my dalhia bulbs next week, It will take a while for them to break ground. I bought new lily bulbs, started them in the house last month. They were up about 4 inches, I planted them last weekend and they are doing good. All my other bulbs that were planted over the last few years are up several inches so I think the new ones will be fine. I planted rac. toes a couple months ago inside, but will wait until it warms up before outside planting. You should be safe to plant the lily bulbs outside now, a friend of mine planted hers outside last month. Good luck!!

o

My mail lady says she planted her Dahlia bulbs this past weekend, so I'm probably going to do mine today. This is at least her second year having them in the yard and she planted hers at the advice of another avid gardener, so I feel safe putting mine in too.
Mad Gallica, were you referring to Rannuculus?

o

No, what I've had experience with is dahlias, begonias, and enough canna to cover NY state. It's the same idea as relatively slow, hot weather annuals. Planted outside directly, they move too slowly to make much progress here until too late to put on a show. I learned that big time when I picked up some started dahlia tubers and unstarted ones at the Ct plant swap. Most people there are much warmer than I am, and start things a few weeks earlier. It makes a big difference in the performance during the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here