Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucy925

Did you lose a favorite plant this winter?

lucy925
17 years ago

I lost my 4yr. old "Kathleen" rose, so bought a "fourth of July" climber to feel better. Sometimes I wish I lived in a different gardening zone, but I guess each zone has its own set of problems. Can't say gardening isn't a challenge!

Comments (14)

• penny1947
    17 years ago

I lost all of my purple coneflowers but two and I lost my salvia azurea and my agastache Apricot sprite and my Lobelia Cardinalis. The coneflowers have reseeded so I will have some babies to transplant and I have resown the salvias and agastaches.

Penny

• laurelin
    17 years ago

My 'Alice Harding' TB iris is no more. What a shame - it was lovely. I might get another this summer and try it again in another location. And I lost a few fall-planted perennials (a coreopsis, a plumbago, and a gaura), but they weren't favorites.

And, if you count not MAPPING and LABELING my gardens so that something is "lost" as in "unidentified"/"Now WHERE did I plant that peony??" - YES. I'm going to have to wait for all the peonies to bloom (I planted 9 last fall, and most have buds now) to figure out where 'Amalia Olson' got to. . . .

Laurel

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

I lost both of my butterfly bushes, and replaced one with a little offshoot from Tennessee. It doesn't look very happy since I planted it a couple of weeks ago :-(

Carol

• faltered
    17 years ago

I lost some viola that I just adored, several oriental lilies, and possibly my balloon flower (I'm still waiting to see if it sprouts).

Tracy

• party_music50
    17 years ago

yeah, my big clump of Matricaria. :( Luckily I had started another, so I'll have a small clump this year. It also appears that I lost the Ligularia 'Desdemona' I bought early last summer. bummer. And 'Green Wizard' Rudbeckia seems to be a no-show.

• von1
    17 years ago

I lost a couple of poppys. It is hot and dry where I planted them. I'm also having trouble with some of the Heucheras. Mostly the bright yellow or the green and white varieties.
    Butterfly bushes last about 2 years in my yard. Much as I admire the campanula family, it doesn't like me. Roses are a waste of time. I might as well burn my money, but hosta I can make grow. But then who can't?
    Ligularia is a tough one also. I always know when its time to water cause the ligularia and the lungwort are drooping.
    Anyone want a tour of my hosta gardens, let me know.
    Von

• dirthappy
    17 years ago

I lost 5 roses but pretty much expected it. We moved all of them last spring and although they did "ok" through the summer, I knew some wouldn't make the winter. I replaced them and found a Double Knockout that I wouldn't have had space for.

• Dottie B.
    17 years ago

I lost some newly planted coneflowers in one area of the garden, yet the others came up fine and one rose bush (which I expected). I also have seen no signs of my balloon flowers, moonbeam coreopsis, a couple of mums, and one of the asters. :(

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Oh I lost mums too this year. I think the cold weather and no snow cover did some of the plants in. The conflower that is on the east side of my house did fine the ones on the west took a big hit. However i did find some seedlings so i will have replacements.

penny

• countryhrt
    17 years ago

I lost several perennials that were planted early last summer. Being new to gardening I'm not sure why they didn't make it but thus far I see no signs of my blue Forget-Me-Not, so pretty Blanket Flower (Gaillardia)or the English Daisy perennial. All 3 plants bloomed beautifully last summer but didn't survive the winter, oh and Coropsis (sp?) from the year before also hasn't come back. Guess I'm doing something wrong!!! :-(

• hammerl
    17 years ago

I lost my rose "snowball", a mum, some blackberry lily, my agastache, my lady slipper orchid, some Japanese primrose, and a clematis.

• jannie
    17 years ago

I lost a quince, two peonies, dwarf apricot and another small bush I can't remember the name of. The winter was mild and wet, a lot of my herbs over-wintered. So I guess you "might" call it about even.

• magicman2u
    17 years ago

I lost a delphinum and a Coroplis. But heres something weird...Last year I grew annual Angel Trumpets/Detura ...I thought none would come back. I thought maybe a few would reseed but they didn't. However Today I noticed one was regrowing. Last Fall when it died I cut it back to ground level. Now it has shoots coming from the old stock! Goody 4 Me!...Wayne

• husky004_
    17 years ago

Well Wayne that's too cool they usually don't survive the winter.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County