Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rini_gw

Help needed: Plants & Pricing for Garden Club Sale

rini
17 years ago

I'm part of the less-than-one-year-old Garden Club in our area. We're going to be selling plants at our local festival in a couple of weeks for fund-raising and I'd love some ideas of plants that seem to sell well and what type of price range we should be thinking of selling things for.

Some things from my garden that I'm going to be donating-

yarrow

regular mint

mini iris

black eyed susans

raspberry plants

Are these too common? What are things people have seen sell well in the past?

In the past, I've seen prices range from $1-3 depending on the item and size but I don't have a good clue on how we should suggest pricing.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks!

Rini

Comments (6)

• gardeningwitch
    17 years ago

When my dad goes to the flea market in Avon, a lady there sells hostas for $3 and $5. they say she sells out before noon.
    When and where is the sale? I would buy all those varieties!!

~Marisa :)

• kareen
    17 years ago

They are all plants that will usually sell, better to plant in small pots and put $1-$2 on it and sell lots .Save the $3-$4 price for less available plants or a little larger pot. If they are all in big pots with higher prices consumers will question their purchase more. Advertise well and mark prices so it is easily readable. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

• rini
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The sale is going to be at the Williamson Apple Blossom Festival on May 20th. The Garden Club will be setting up a table with a banner. I'll be manning the table for a while although I'm not sure what hours just yet -- I'd love to meet other gardenwebbers if they stop by!

I just got an email that one club member has lilac bushes to donate! so I'm very excited about what we're going to end up with.

Thank you for your advice! Good information that I will be passing on to my club. If anyone has other tips, let me know!

-Rini

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    17 years ago

We price mostly by pot size. 2-3 gal ferns and grasses are $10. Rumor has it the peonies will be $20, but they should be in bloom. Most perennials in quart pots are $4 or $5.

What sells well varies quite a bit from year to year. Shade plants usually do well, as do plants people generally recognize. They should preferrably be potted up several weeks before the sale so they have time to settle into the pots and not look wilty. We haven't done well with shrubs and trees, and the problem might be they rarely look good at sale time.

If you are going to be at a festival, how far is the table going to be from the parking lot? Plants are heavy, and people won't buy much if they have to haul it around. Also, try to have at least one person on hand who really knows their plants, and several reference books. Somebody is going to end up trying to explain something like hardy geraniums to somebody who thinks they could maybe recognize a daisy.

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

I agree with the $1-2 for common plants, and $3-4 for less common perennials or large containers. For really unusual perennials you could get $5. Maybe it's just our area is cheap, but I don't think people would pay $5 for common plants like iris and black eyed susans.

Good luck with your sale. THat's now 4 things on the same day - Attica Garden Club plant sale, Batavia Master Gardeners, Wyoming Master Gardeners and you. Wish they were spaced out more. Glad GW exchange is in June.

• rini
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thank you for your advice!

I think we're going to do mainly small pots. I have one garden member who is promising me some lilac bushes so we might have some larger items.

it does seem that mid-May through June is when most of the plant sales are going on. I think the Ontario Garden Club does theirs this weekend.

thanks again!
    Rini

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor