Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmoney_gw

Burdocks a burden

Dmoney
18 years ago

Our yard is peppered with burdocks. They are a real annoyance. I was given a spray to kill them, but there are just so many, that it is very cumbersome and also very expensive. Is there another way to get rid of these pests? They seem to be sprouting everywhere. Some areas we can mow, but others we can't.

Comments (42)

• kareen
    18 years ago

I am sure you don't care to be reminded that burdock was the inspiration for velcro or the following info I found ......... "But burdocks have another history -- as food and medicine. Harvested and
    prepared at the right season, their tender roots, stems, and leaves serve
    variously as salad greens, asparagus-like vegetables or even confections.
    Their roots provide the gobo in the sukiyaki of Japanese cuisine.

Made into a tea, soup or extract, they were formerly used to treat a litany
    of maladies including gout, stomach and labor pains, measles, and rheumatism.
    Hikers still apply the leaves directly -- as they do those of jewelweed -- to
    relieve the pain of mosquito bites, nettles, sunburn, and sprains. Poultices
    made from the leaves soothe boils and abrasions.

Claims go further to include various "quack" cancer therapies. At the same
    time, however, the National Cancer Institute has been investigating the
    possible use of burdock lignans to prevent cancer-causing mutations".......

Seriously this last item may be of some help to you I hope.
    Good luck.
    http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/articles/frederick/2001/weed_control.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    18 years ago

Dmoney... how would you even think about getting rid of your burdocks after the wonderful aspects of this plant, carefully described by Kareen? LOL! Kareen, I like it! Thank you! You ARE a master gardener! I learned a lot about this 'weed'.

There are weeds that you just have to pull by hand... Weeding can be relaxing (granted.. as long as you have time), and much better than any chemical!! I'll be glad to give you a hand, as long as I can keep some for mosquito bites and other medicinal use!

Good luck,
    Anne-Marie

• Aurore
    18 years ago

I've tried macrobiotic recipes (anticancer and health diet)which called for burdock root in stews and soups. I bought it at the healthfood store. Could be you had a money crop although I don't think I'd want to eat them after they've been sprayed with poisons- health stores want organic- herbicides have been possibly linked to cancer (counter productive if your eating the burdock in macrobiotic recipes to get rid of cancer)and parkinson's . I've been ridding my garden of as much poisons as I can.
    Take a mower, bushwhacker or hedge clippers to what you can of them. You'll have to repeat this once the plants start to spring up again making sure they don't get enough growth to thrive. I'll sometimes cover large areas of weeds that I've mowed with large old boards to smother any re-emerging plants-leaves piled up high over weeds can also effectively smother plants.

• breenthumb
    18 years ago

If you hadn't sprayed you could have posted free burdock in your local pennysaver or on your local freecycle (follow normal precautions) and you may have had people clamoring to dig it out for you. Probably still can if there are large unsprayed areas.

There was just a feature this week in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle about people, including chefs, foraging for wild unsprayed burdock to dig and cook. Its a delicacy so valued that, to protect their source, men don't even tell their wives where they found it! Origin of the species come to mind? Frankly, I'd not want it in my yard either, but thought you might get a kick out of the article if you care to check it out. Plus, don't know the size of your area but if you have a good amount of land to clear of it maybe not a bad idea after all. Sandy

• Dmoney
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for the ideas and suggestions. There are so many. I haven't sprayed all of them, just those near the front door area. I stopped by a garden shop and they told me I would have to use a clearer that kills all the vegetation for 1 year. I really don't know if I want to do that. Anyone interested in free burdocks, just stop by my place. They can have all they want. There is a very large crop of them all over.

• hammerl
    18 years ago

Heck, if you lived near Buffalo, my mother would be clamoring for some. She does some sort of Italian dish passed down from her mother from Italy that features the stem in an egg batter cooked into a pancake-like item. Trouble is, she'd only want the stem when young and tender (and definitely unsprayed), which means she'd leave you the root :)Advertise them as cardones, and little old Italian ladies will trample your property to get them. Seriously.

• cjsutton881
    17 years ago

Hi,
    Could you give me the accurate---method of cooking---recipe for burdock stem. I keep finding burdock root recipes, but none for burdock stem. Thanks!

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I'll tell you how to cook it the best I can: )
    You need to collect the stems in spring while the plants still resemble rhubarb plants. And like rhubarb, you want the stems only, no leaves. Once they go into flower stalk mode, it is to late.
    After cleaning well, you want to cut the stems up sort of like chopping celery for soup, but a bit bigger. Put them all in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Then simmer for 15-20 minutes, then drain. The draining out of the water is to get rid of the sometimes strong flavor. Put back in the pot and add new hot water and bring to a boil again and then simmer for at least 15 more minutes. You need to check every once in awhile after that to see when tender.
    Once tender, drain.
    Put the burdock in a large mixing bowl. You will need to add beaten eggs to them until well coated. How many eggs of course depends on how much burdock you cooked so to give an exact amount I can't say, but it should be a gooey mess.
    Then you need to add bread crumbs and grated parmesan or romano cheese. Using already seasoned bread crumbs is easier. When I used the seasoned I still add a bit more garlic powder, oregano, and black pepper. Again how much I can't say but you want to make a really nice gooey mess. You don't want it to get to dry, but you don't want it too wet either. Lol, I hope I'm making sense. Well, the amounts don't need to be exact. It will come out good!
    Then you fry the mixture in batches over med high heat. Use a good pan or flat griddle that doesn't stick and a little bit of oil. When you put the mixture into the pan, you need to flatten it out a bit so it is like a thick pancake. You want to fry until one side is golden brown, then flip and cook until that side is golden brown also.
    If something doesn't make sense, let me know.
    Remy

• wantoretire_did
    17 years ago

Kareen- I thought I was the only trivia-nut that still passes the velcro connection along!! That, and that one of the Monkees' moms invented Liquid Paper (white out) for which I have been eternally grateful :-))

Carol

• bloomville
    17 years ago

since burdocks are bienniel, I go around a few times each spring summer with a hand scythe and my wheelbarrow and whack the hell out of them (before they develop seed-heads), the use the greens--stems and leaves--for layers in my compost pile. doing so for the past 2 years is definitely reducing the population around my house and along my pretty lengthy (and weedy) driveway.

two years ago, when I first moved here, I had the horrible experience of witnessing a hummingbird killed by getting stuck in the "velcro" of the burdock seed-head. Believe me, I tried to save it...it was not pretty. Later that winter I found a second bird dead, still stuck to the burdock. after that, burdock was my avowed enemy. it is great exercise and a pleasure to whack them with the hand scythe and then use them for something that BENEFITS the local environment--compost. nice karmic reverb on that one.

I keep meaning to try some of the cooking recipes. "Wildman" Steve Brill has a neat book about foraging wild foods that includes some cool recipes for burdock and numerous other "weeds"--trying googling him or amazon-ing him and check out the book.

• lblack61
    17 years ago

You know, I'm trying to make the "Use-Solution" in dealing with the chickweed that grows everywhere in my yard. I've heard it has a good Vitamin C content and that it can be used as a tea.
    I figure if I use it, it won't be such a nuisance to me. But then, chickweed doesn't have prickers like Burdocks do.

• husky004_
    17 years ago

Hey Remy, where the heck was the burdocks at the swap, you coulda brought some for our pot luck!!!!!!!!!

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Lol, Husky. If I had know you would eat it, I would of brought some! : )

• oldroser
    17 years ago

Come to think of it, I eradicated burdock from my area a long time ago, just by cutting it back when it flowered. And then cutting it back again when it tried to flower later. The burs stuck in my dog's coat and getting them out was almost impossible. A few years of cutting back and they just disappeared.
    Cardoons are actually a relative of the artichoke and are used, blanched for food. But an Italian co-worker used to freeze burdock stems, which she cvalled cardoons, cooked, cooled and used in a fritter batter. They were a delicacy for her name-day party - a huge event which she spent days preparing for.

• husky004_
    17 years ago

Awww Remy if you only knew how long i've wanted to try cardoons!

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Husky,
    I'll make sure I cook some for you: )

The burdock stems are often frozen since they are a once a year item. My family's freezer was often stocked with them. When I was a kid, my father used to have a bunch of children go with him to abandoned lots to pick burdock in the spring. We would be given bags and large knives, lol. People would drive past us, and you could tell they were thinking, "What are those crazy people doing?"
    There is a lot of Cardone/Cardoon and burdock confusion. I work for Wegmans produce and have to explain this a lot. Cardone is a zone 7 and higher perennial, so it does not grow in this area. It is very closely related to Artichokes. It is generally harvested in the fall after the stems have grown for the season.
    Now somehow, when the Italians came here, they realized burdock, which of course is a readily available weed, tasted like cardone. So the Italians call it Cardone/cardoon/ Cardooni/Gardooni/etc. Though also in the thistle family, it is not a close relative of artichoke like cardone. And of course it is harvested in the spring.
    Ok, I've probably told more than you want to know,lol.
    Remy

• husky004_
    17 years ago

Hey Remy-thanks for the history of burdocks or cardoons, when we were kids my grandfather would take us to the airport to dig dandelions so he could make wine, im sure we were a sight out there, but he felt that was the one place dogs weren't peeing on the dandelions lol. But i'm still looking forward to trying burdocks lol and i'll overlook where they were grown. Hey what i don't know won't hurt me!

• teacher_gardener
    16 years ago

Our school Peace Garden is overrun with burdocks. Granted their historic value and medicinal qualities, the students get covered with them when working in the garden cutting back perennials. Surprisingly, there are some students who use them as "munitions", firing them at others' long hair and clothing! It would be an advantage to eliminate them from the garden, in a non-toxic manner. Any viable suggestions?

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

A hand scythe would probably work best.

• nordfyr315
    16 years ago

Funny about the burdock stem recipe. My mothers side of the family is also from the Buffalo area but she is of Anglo stock. I always figured it was some old Yankee recipe even though it does seem more Italian. I had a friend in the Marine Corps who prepared an Italian spinach recipe that was quite similar. Either way, I wish I had some burdock now. Head and shoulders my favorite vegetable.

• donnaz5
    16 years ago

I had tons of burdocks when i moved here. If you can, mow the area. The problem is that burdock seeds can remain in the ground for years and years, then germinate when the soil is disturbed, so even if you get them now, this will be an ongoing battle for many years.In my experience with the herbicides, they do more harn than good. I don't think that they're strong enough to totally kill a large burdock, so when you spray the plant wil frantically send up dozens of babies, then you start all over. Just mow..for years..sorry..but that's the best advice I have. Mine are under control now, but will never be gone. Whoever said to dig them..never did..the roots are like huge carrots, and can go down a good 2 feet..you'd need a backhoe! good luck..donna p.s...i hear that goats and sheep will eat burdocks, where cattle and horses won't..just a thought!

• husky004_
    16 years ago

And Im still waiting Remy!!!!!!!!!!! lol

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Lol Kathy!
    Yes, I do still owe you. I'll have to make sure I pick some this spring and freeze them. : )
    Remy

• misskimmie
    16 years ago

I also eat burdocks... but I make them into candy. Euell Gibbons has a great recipe that I've used for years. Cut the flower stalks just before the buds are starting to form. Peel off every bit of green to reveal a white pith. cut pith into 3 inch lengths and boil in water (add a pinch of baking soda) for 20 min. then drain. Make a syrup made of 1/2 cup water, 1 cup sugar and some grated lemon peel if you have it. Boil pith in syrup until it looks translucent. Drain and roll in sugar. I think this has a faint pineapple taste. Yum.

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Are burdocks those weeds that look like dandelions but are prickly? Late last summer I had those things all over one of my beds. Everyday more sprouted up. They are hard to dig out unless you do it when they first emerge b/c of the prickly leaves. If this is what those weeds are anyone in the vicinity of N. Tonawanda can have all of mine b/c I don't use any pesticides, herbicides or fungicides.

Penny

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi Penny,
    No. They look like wild rhubarb.
    Remy

• penny1947
    16 years ago

I don't think I have ever seen burdocks then.

Penny

• diane_nny
    16 years ago

Well, look at this old thread!

How we got rid of our burdocks was to just keep mowing them. There are still signs and hints of them, but we just keep mowing them, and gradually the grass takes back over.

• runningtrails
    15 years ago

I would like to know how to tell them from Rhubarb. How do you tell the difference?

• jeanie
    15 years ago

My neighbor has some that I am watching very carefully after reading this. She plans to use straight cider vinegar on them. Her father's idea. Worth a try if you want to go organic. Would most likely be effective on a hot sunny day. Good luck.
    Jeanie

• UllisGarden
    15 years ago

put old car oil on them, that will do the trick but you didnt hear it from me

• ebonearth
    15 years ago

So I just came in from my first Pyrrhic victory over the itchy prickly burdock that is presently occupying my future herb garden. I thought they were cockleburs but due to the shape of the burs I am certain it is pesky burdock. I will try the vinegar cure and heavy trimming come spring.

The Pyrrhic part is that the seed pods went everywhere and I do mean everywhere. I think I did more harm than good!

• herbalbetty
    15 years ago

Rhubarb leaves are smooth. Burdock leaves are slightly fuzzy. But, burdock root is great in soups! If you call it "Gobo" as the Japanese do, you can command great prices for it. Seriously.

• lovetogarden
    15 years ago

Now is the time to be pulling them out of the ground. Then you have to be dilligent and mow and weed whack to keep them at bay. I know, I had the same problem you did a few years ago. But be assured, no plant can survive constant cultivation.

• husky004_
    15 years ago

Remy-I'm still waiting lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Promises, promises.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Husky,
    LOL! I know I still have to make some for you!!
    Remy

• husky004_
    15 years ago

Remy-the burdocks du jour will be fine with me lol.

• ballbustersbest_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

my father had me and my friends picking cardone,gadoons,burdock for yrs,my wife had me out 11pm picking some,we boil the stalks the bread them with egg and fry them like eggplant than add sauce and cheese.
    i brought 60 lbs to a italian market on saturday,the manager told me come on a thursday because the italians go shopping on friday,and dont cut the leaves from the stalks,leave them whole like a bunch of cellery,he said he would give me $2.50 per lb,wow i could pick 1000 lbs.
    i also chopped the leaves added garlic and breaded the patties.it,s also reported to be a blood purifier,and a ingrediant in essiac tea,avalible at health food stores.
    happy eating.
    rick

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Husky,
    Guess what I'm bringing Sunday? Yes, that's right Cardoons! : )
    Remy

• husky004_
    14 years ago

Woo Hoo finally, thanks Remy!!!

• rosalinda_gw
    14 years ago

Remy,
    The Cardoon was DELICIOUS!

I really should start making it and maybe the soup with the roots also. The best revenge on any weed is to eat it :o)

-Rosalinda

• spectre55
    14 years ago

Wow! I was out mowing the lawn today and noticed an abundance of burdock that I hadn't noticed when I moved into this house 2 1/2 years ago. I was sitting in the back yard remembering when my grandmother (who immigrated from Furci, Italy in the 1920s), used to cook up cardoons when I was a kid. I was going to call my Mom in Lockport tonight and ask her for the recipe, but I knew she'd be asleep by now. So, I started searching the web and found this site. Lucky me! I remember my sister and I going out along the canal banks to pick several paper grocery bags full of them. I knew it involved egg batter w/ breadcrumbs and then frying them, but the other details slipped my mind.

Thanks to all for reminding me on how to make this delicious dish! I'm going to be picking a ton of them this week before they start flowering! Up here in the North Country, the seasons come about a month later than in WNY. I just put my garden in last weekend. :)

On another note, we used to pick dandelion greens in the early spring to make salad (my Dad always told us not to pick them all, so he could use the flowers to make wine). Gotta get them before they flower, or they are tough and very bitter. They are also great when cooked like spinach with some melted butter added! I still do this when I remember to. My yard is full of them!