Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fenianrabble

Looking for Larkspur

Emiliesmom
18 years ago

I'm trying to find old-fashioned Larkspur, either seeds or plants. This is the old-fashioned "bunny face" larkspur and NOT the modern delphinium variety. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Comments (6)

• harebelle
    18 years ago

A quick check resulted in consolida ambigua, which seems what I remember as the larkspur I grew eons ago. It's an annual that self-seeds freely, if I remember correctly. I hope this helps.
    H

Here is a link that might be useful: Larkspur

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    18 years ago

I do have several varieties of larkspur, but I am not sure which one is the 'old fashion' you are thinking of, although I know for sure one would be it. I collected my seeds from a friend's farm in France (where it grew wild) and it re-seeds year after year. See picture. Maybe I can get the picture to show in the text...
    {{gwi:1325533}}
    I have lots of volunteers, but I am not quite sure how I could send them. I may have some seeds left that I collected in the fall of 2003. Maybe they are still good. Let me know if you are interested. Select Seeds is also a great source for 'antique' flowers. site or to go directly to their larkspurs .

Good luck,
    Anne-Marie

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    18 years ago

A typo error in my previous link.. larkspurs from Select Seeds
    Sorry,
    Anne-Marie

• lblack61
    18 years ago

I actually found seeds for Larkspur at Chase-Pitkin in Syracuse. I think Lowe's also had some.

• lblack61
    18 years ago

Is Larkspur the same as Stocks? I picked up a couple of six packs of healthy looking Stocks from Walmart this morning. Boy do they smell good. They were kinda hefty in price (for me, at least...$10 for one six pack), but I was wooed by their scent and their beauty. I want to put them in a space where I have WSed lupine seedlings that I know are going to take at least a year to bloom.
    I also bought some Creeping Phlox which was 5 bucks for a good sized pot (a half-gallon, I think?). I'm thinking I can separate it and spread it out in one or two of my beds. They also had 3 packs of Columbine that I bought two of. They are a pretty strawberry pink. I already put four of them in the ground. I might put the other two in containers.

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    18 years ago

Yes, stock & larkspur are 2 very different plants. Stock can actually be started froms seeds VERY easily! YES... LOVELY fragrance!!!

Creeping phlox spreads quickly and you can start your own plants by rooting stems from the mother plant. I got quite a few healthy plants this way.

Good luck,
    Anne-Marie