Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Frost Warning

booberry85
14 years ago

Just a heads up. There is a state wide frost warning for tonight. In my neck of the woods, the next three nights are suppose to dip into the thirties. So bring those seedlings in or at least get them covered.

Comments (8)

• penny1947
    14 years ago

I covered newly planted out perennials with pots and moved my rack of seedlings into the garage. Will do the same tonight.

Penny

• beebalm_2009
    14 years ago

Thanks............ I have my basil and cucumbers in a cob-job cold frame.......... They seem to be fine!

• kpw212
    14 years ago

I'm always confused about this frost warning business. I live in Apalachin, outside of Binghamton. I have not planted annuals yet; planted some heuchera last week. So should I cover just the new perennials? I've covered perennials planted last year and before: hydrangea, clematis, salvia, geraniums(Rozanne), aster. Last year my clematis got nipped by a hard frost and looked liked heck the entire season. I'm the only one on the street covering established perennials. So what's the good word?

• penny1947
    14 years ago

I cover newly planted out perennials when there is a frost warning because I am never sure how well hardened off they are when I buy them. Once they have made it through their first winter I don't worry about them.

Penny

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

More frost warnings headed our way for Sunday & Monday nights! Looks like I'll be trying to put a LOT of seedlings in the garage this round of cold weather. I potted up some seedling and I don't have room in the house! ~sigh~

• rosalinda_gw
    14 years ago

And I have most of my warm weather plants out so I guess they will all have to come in - somewhere.... in addition to the seedlings - ugh - will this winter never let go? Everything is getting sick and pale with grief, since they are usually out for the summer by now. Between the weather changing from hot to cold and back again, and the never ending wind, it seems as soon as I put something out it gets damaged (despite being sheltered by buildings and trees) and then needs to come back in because it gets cold again. Sigh... the weather - all we can do is complain about it.

• penny1947
    14 years ago

I have all my seedling flats on a rolling cart with 5 shelves so I can roll it in and out of the garage. I just rolled it in and shut the door. All my pots except for a few that can take a light frost are back in the garage too. I am so sick of this weather!

Penny

• rosalinda_gw
    14 years ago

We got nailed Mon night. Since I covered everything I could and brought in what I could, that stuff is ok, but all my nuts trees were damaged, all my young oak trees, and several other young trees. I don't know how bad the frost will affect my nut, cherry and apple crop. I keep finding damage here and there - some of it mystifies me, such as the cinnamon fern got burnt at the edges but the other ferns next to it didn't. I guess some new growth is more sensitive.

Weather has been great since then, though we are very very dry, and I have had to start watering everything - a rare thing in May.

-Rosalinda

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH