Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite Garden Destinations in Westchester County, NY

Posted by wendy2 zone 6 MA (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 08 at 14:52

I'm planning a trip to this area this summer, and I'd like to get some advice from the locals.

What are the must-see gardening destinations in the area? I'm interested in public gardens as well as nursery shopping. Suggestions welcome!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite Garden Destinations in Westchester County, NY

Are you interested in plants or garden design? For garden design, I'd say Kykuit in Tarrytown is pretty much a must see. It's the old Rockefeller house, and tours are arranged through Historic Hudson Valley. I don't know how booked up they get. I went when it was first opened to the public and tickets weren't easy to come by.

For plants, Stonecrop in Putnam Co. is another excellent garden. It's the home of the Garden Conservancy. The Cabot's also owned Wave Hill, just south of Westchester.

If you are going to be there during a weekend, do check out the Garden Conservancy's Open Garden listings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here