Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stock reduction auction

Posted by lilylouise z6NY (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 05 at 14:58

Did anyone else get to the Edgewood Nursery Auction? What a great sale it was. The day was gorgeous and there were plenty of bargains to be had. We only bought two lots because that's all we could squeeze in the station wagon. If you're looking for flowering shrubs and trees, it's a must for next year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stock reduction auction

• Posted by Kareen z5 NY Renss.Co. (My Page) on
    Sun, May 8, 05 at 18:52

I,m not sure I am ready to drive all the way to Rochester for a plant auction but 2 posts on this has my curiosity peaked . What did you buy? Were the prices really good? Better than the usual retail?

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

o

It truly was an auction conducted at a nursery that for 364 days a year is wholesale only. One day a year they conduct an auction open to the general public of over stock perennials, evergreen and deciduis(sp?) shrubs and trees. Much of the stock is well past the 3 year mark and maybe more. For the perennials and shrubs they collect a group of five or more various plants and auction each group off one at a time. Each group is different and the going prices range according to what happens to be in that group. I got two groups. The first was $40 for 7 plants. The second $70 for 7 also. The difference was that the 2nd included a rhody, a 5ft Alberta spruce and a 3-4 ft blue princess holly. Other groups had 3-4 ft Japanese lace leaf Maples or 3 ft Magnolias.
I want to try a tapestry helge so what I got is all good and will fit in somewhere. Of course there's the excitement of the bidding. We truly had to turn our back because everything had to be removed by 5pm and we didn't have a truck. If you are a perfectionist and want that perfect specimen, the sale wouldn't be your thing, but it beats the heck out big box garden centers.

o

• Posted by Kareen z5 NY Renss.Co. (My Page) on
    Sun, May 8, 05 at 21:00

That really sounds like fun . It sounds like you really made out well and to have such mature plants is wonderful. Please post when you get them in . Kareen

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here