Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ridgetop01

What did you get new this year for your garden?

I have most of my new acquisitions in the ground, finally, in this insanely early season. I mostly have shopped garden club sales and catalogs, with a few side trips to favorite nurseries. Here's a list of some of the things I'm most excited about. Oh yes - I must note that I started a spreadsheet this year of my plants, and I'm up over 300 unique varieties so far - call me a geek, you'll be right, but I prefer to think of myself as a "collector"!

Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldii'

Polemonium 'Stairway to Heaven'

Verbascum 'Clementine'

Azalea 'Mandarin Lights'

Heucherella 'Gold Zebra'

Rose 'Prairie Sunrise' (a Bucks rose)

Alcea ficifolia 'Happy Lights' hollyhock (from seed)

Brunnera macrophylla 'Jack Frost'

I also got an unnamed Epimedium and an unnamed Euphorbia from garden club sales, and a nameless viburnum, and a money plant, and Centranthus ruber, and various other goodies.

How about you - prize acquisitions?

Comments (8)

• penny1947
    11 years ago

Very few new acquisitions this year but I did add a few new hummer plants
    Salvia 'Wendy's Wish'
    Lonicera sempervirens 'Major Wheeler'
    Salvia x microphylla 'Penny's Smile'
    Salvia greggii 'Royal Bumble'
    Petunia exserta (Brazilian Petunia)

• booberry85
    11 years ago

I put in a perennial border around my veggie garden this year. Hopefully, the perennials are deer and bunny proof. So new this year are: irises (mixed NOID), two blueberry bushes (one doing well, the other struggling - I know a favorite for the deer and bunnies to munch on), Asian lilies (just a mixed bag at Lowes. Last year the bunnies didn't touch them. This year the bunnies are mowing them down), red Monarda, lavender, Speedwell, daisies, Echinacea (Pow Wow and a white one) and May Nights Salvia!

Also new, a number of daylilies, candytuft, an order of irises (still to come from Schreiner's).

New to me veggies are sweet potatoes, collards, Scarlet Runner beans.

• booberry85
    10 years ago

This year I added a few more columbine and a couple of hardy kiwis. The kiwis did not like the cold trellis I had for them to climb (we had freezing temps 2 nights in a row) , but otherwise are doing ok. I also added liatris.

This post was edited by booberry85 on Tue, May 14, 13 at 20:56

• party_music50
    10 years ago

I planted another peach tree on arbor day! Otherwise, my gardens really need to be cleaned up because they weren't well-tended for the last two years (I hurt my neck & back) -- so I'm *removing* and rearranging plants, not adding any! :p

• Judith Riddle
    10 years ago

We just planted a purple emperor butterfly bush in-between two golden euonymus. They are beautiful!

• nixon
    10 years ago

red leaf peony

• rosesstink
    10 years ago

Nothing new yet this year. I'm in a move things around state. Things that have overgrown their space or would look better in another spot. Some things needed dividing so that's another chore. And I've decided I like to have some annuals mixed in with my perennials so some blank spots have been filled in with those. I did try to get some coreopsis 'Jethro Tull' but my local garden center didn't have it - despite it being listed on their website. Ah well.

• ridgetop01 (zone 5b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One thing I have seen everywhere this year that's new is a red leaved geranium - I don't have it in my spreadsheet yet, so don't know the name. Very pretty, though, I put it in a somewhat shady spot among the roses.

I added that 'Jethro Tull' coreopsis last year, and it's in bud now, can't wait to see it bloom. Also added 'Big Bang Cosmic Eye' coreopsis, not doing quite as well but coming.

I too add annuals among the perennials, I have a bunch of different calendulas, 2 very tiny "Kiss me over the garden gate" which are doing ok, some moonflowers and morning glories, a number of 4-o-clocks (which perennialize in the Hershey, PA area, wish they did that for me!), some sunflowers, some fragrant nicotianas, a bunch of zinnias (cactus flowered) and nasturtium, and marigolds. All of the annuals are from seed - craziness, I think I may be out of control! Also some poppies, but I need a better spot for them, they are cramped and I don't think they'll do much.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County