Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adina72

Not enough color...HELP

Dottie B.
17 years ago

For the past two weeks, my gardens have had very little color. Any ideas what I can plant that blooms from Mid May to Early June in our area (or has unusual foliage color)? Here's what I have blooming now and I plan to add more of these, but would like some other ideas as well.

Lilacs

Late Blooming Daffodils

Leopards Bane

Creeping Phlox

Alpine Poppies

Bearded Iris are just about ready to bloom

So what's blooming for you right now?

Comments (8)

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Hi Adina,
    Shrub wise Viburnum carlcephalum just finished blooming and it smells great! Weigela and Deutzia shrubs are just starting. Rose glauca is a rose that is more of a shrub. It doesn't get diseases. Its foliage is reddest in spring and it will bloom small pink flowers soon. It looks great next to white plants like Spirea prunifolia that is blooming.
    For the sun Geranium sanguineum just started blooming. Also, Forget-me-nots,Iberis, and Veronica gentianoides. Peonies will bloom soon.
    For the shade Primroses, Pulmonaria, Brunnera, Columbine and Phlox.
    That's all I can think of at the moment: )
    Remy

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Jacob's Ladder started to bloom about a week ago and it has a nice long bloom time. The foilage is nice too very fern-like.

Penny

• Aurore
    17 years ago

Azaleas, later blooming tulips- the doubles, I have billows of forget me nots everywhere, bleeding heart- spectabilis, violets, verbascum is just coming out, vinca minor, narcissus, strawberries- there is a pink flowered variety, early iris- shorter varieties, honesty (lunaria, money plant), also don't forget colorful foliage plants.

• Aurore
    17 years ago

arabis and pulmonaria
    I love color...darn deer.

• faltered
    17 years ago

I've got lily of the valley, sweet woodruff, some annual dianthus that reseeded, peonies about to pop open any day now, perennial dianthus, and violas.

Tracy

• hammerl
    17 years ago

I've got columbine, sweet woodruff, primrose, azalea, lilac, rhododendron, solomon's seal, forget-me-not, bearded iris, coral bells, peony tree, japanese primrose, goldenstar, jack-in-the-pulpit, trillium, pansies, pulmonaria, bleeding hearts, veronica, and siberian bugloss blooming right now.

Within a week or so the peony bushes will start, as will the blue-eyed grass, jupiter's beard, jacob's ladder, painted daisies, and the (really invasive) anenome canadensis that I can't manage to get rid of, and my roses aren't that far behind.

• Momothegardenhoe zone 5, Central NY
    17 years ago

Daphne Carol Mackie, Daphne Sommerset (with wonderful scent!), Allium Purple Sensation,Allium Christophii with buds, mounds of chives with lavender flowers, violas, tulip "Maureen" (of course), late daffodils, creeping veronica with a carpet of sky blue blooms,arabis, euphorbia (not flowers, but bright yellow bracts), columbine, peonies ready to open, Jacobs Ladder, Lilacs, forget me nots, pulmonaria, brunnera, many different colorful sedums (foliage is colorful, then the blooms), colorful hucheras, rosa glauca with rosy purple leaves, several clematis loaded with buds growing on trellises, bearded iris with buds, lots of daylilies bloom in June, pjm rhodies, azaleas, cranesbill with buds, dianthus....

• Dottie B.
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. Will definately work on adding more of these to my landscape.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz