Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ornamental grasses near Syracuse

Posted by hollyk 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 26, 06 at 17:17

Hi! What's a good nursery in the Syracuse area that carries a wide selection of hardy ornamental grasses? Looking for one between Auburn, Syracuse, and Ithaca. Tried Baker's Acres already. Pretty good selection but many in the pots didn't look like they survived the winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ornamental grasses near Syracuse

I have been looking for grasses very recently and found some nurseries' stock still in dormancy. The pots looked like dead grass. I bought some dormant miscanthus from Bedlam Gardens and it is growing well now. The four businesses listed below all had some nice choices. I had particularly good luck with knowledgeable staff at Bedlam and Ontario. There is a married couple, Barbara and Skip, who are usually out near the trees at Ontario Orchards. They are fantastic! The lady at Bedlam Gardens was willing to dig very small specimens of miscanthus for me so I could afford 10 plants. Don't be shocked at the prices of nice potted specimens. They definitely arent cheap.
Mudlady

Bedlam Gardens 1893 Route 34B, Kingferry, NY 13081 (315) 364-8725.

Ontario Orchards
Route 104 West Oswego, NY 13126
Phone (315) 343-6328 Fax (315) 343-5250

Phoenix Flower Farm Very near Oliver Paine. Google will take you to their web sites and explicit driving directions.
Oliver Paine Greenhouses, Fulton

o

Squire Farms, Rt. 5 in Elbridge (689-3590) advertised in the Auburn Citizen Zebra grass, usually $12 is on sale at $7.
Mudlady

o

Thanks! I hesitate to buy something that they might claim is "dormant" that looks dead, when the grasses in my hard are already 12" high, but I'll check those nurseries out. Was just down King Ferry the other day but didn't see Bedlam as I wasn't on 34B, but I'll have to look for it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here