Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt_v

Veg Gardens...How yooz doin'?

matt_v
18 years ago

Greetings! Weather forecasts have me wondering what to do next in my Veg Garden. I got a late start this year, because its my first time attempting this. I had to prepare the site, order the soil, and mound it up in 3foot rows, following the WORD or French intensive method. Right now, I have Spinach, Radish, and Lettuce started. These plants have been in for 3 weeks and and are sprouting and look OK. Beets and Swiss Chard may or may not be up yet, I have no idea what the seedlings look like. Since we are stuck in the 50-60's for highs, these crops should be fine...

But what of my Beans? Squash, Pumpkins, Cukes, Corn, Peppers and Tomatoes??? I can't plant them in this cool cruddy weather right? If I wait until June, will I even get a harvest? CNY Gardeners in Z4-6, help me out?? What are you doing about this?

Any tricks???

Comments (4)

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    18 years ago

WORD.. Wide rows
    Organic methods
    Raised beds
    Deep soil

You must have The Vegetable Gardener's Bible by Ed Smith.. Love this book!

Yes, things are behind in the veggie garden... Except for my greens, I don't have much planted. I actually had my first lettuce 10 days ago, and my first Swiss chards last Friday.. but for the warmth-loving veggies, it would not really help to plant them before night temps get a little warmer. However, I did cover my beds a while back with black plastic and the soil under there is much warmer. I do plan to plant my tomato seedlings as soon as I have time--hopefully tomorrow. You can also use cover rows and 'walls of water' to keep them warmer.

Last year, we had a very wet, cool summer and still had a good harvest--by mid August. As soon as it gets warm, things will catch up. Same thing for squash, peppers, cukes, pumpkins, as long as you started your seeds indoors. Beans also like a warm soil (60F), so, start your seeds inside if you want an earlier harvest. In cool soil, germination is poor.

My seedlings are anxious to get in the ground.. and I am even more anxious to have them planted...
    Well.. Have fun planting,
    Anne-Marie

• booberry85
    18 years ago

Usually I don't even plant the veggie garden until Memorial Day weekend! I started this past weekend which I consider an early start (probably won't finish until the beginning of June). Last year, it was the first and second week of June before I had things planted. Beans ans squashes should be fine to start by seed in the garden. Beans will be ready to harvest at the end of July / beginning of August. The tomatoes and peppers will need to be seedlings already in order to get a harvest in August. The pumpkins and corn (from seed) will be ready in September. This is if things are planted now to the beginning of June. Don't panic! There's still plenty of time!

• crankyoldman
    18 years ago

I started the warm-weather stuff like peppers, eggplants, and tomatoes inside back in February/early March. Once it warmed up some, I started putting them outside during the day and recently leaving them out on nights that aren't cold. Now they are quite big - the eggplants have blossoms on them - and they will be ready to put in the garden June 1 (May 30 is last frost where I am). But I am just starting (indoors) the melons and haven't begun to start beans and corn, which I direct sow after it's warm. A good place to get info about planting time and cultivation of veggies in northern areas like upstate NY is Stokes.

http://www.stokeseeds.com/cgi-bin/StokesSeeds.storefront

Go to the variety, then click on Product Details > Detailed Growing Instructions. I have found their directions to be super helpful. Their catalog is worth getting just for the info, but they also have wonderful seeds at reasonable prices, and lots of the older varieties, although they are oriented more towards growers than home gardeners. They almost always have info about exactly when to plant. I use their info to put together a planting calender in the winter. I couldn't keep track of all the stuff I have to plant and when without it.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    18 years ago

My chard, kale, lettuces, brassicas are lush from this cool, wet weather. Nothing else is in yet because it's just too cool out for them.