Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow lupine in Cayuga County

Posted by mudlady Syracuse-z5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 12 at 18:19

I live in Conquest (Port Byron addres close to the old cannal) and I have been given some tiny lupines. I know they flourish in Maine, the upper peninsula of MI, and Nova Scotia. Conquest doesn't have acid soil. My property was, six years ago, a farm field full of alfalfa and soy beans. I have no real shade. I managed to keep a few plants going in a west facing garden and they made it to the second year and some flowered, but no more came up. So, where should I plant lupine? Of note, I am surrounded by Menonite farm families. Menonite women often have beautiful flower gardens but I know of only one who has a small patch of lupines in a fairly sunny area.

Thanks,
Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow lupine in Cayuga County

I don't have an answer, but I too am trying in Madison county on a property that was a farm field until the early 80's. I got mine as roots, and planted them, they are doing good for now, we'll see if they come back next year. I'd say lots of compost would be the best thing for them, and watch for the seeds and try collecting some to start inside, as well as making a good environment around them with compost for reseeding. Good luck!

o
RE: Grow lupine in Cayuga County

I have always had good luck with them on the east or west side of my house BUT with that said, if you have voles, they will eat the plants right down to the ground and then work on that tap root. I had a beauty that I had been nursing along from last year. One day it was beautiful and the next day there were three small leaves left and the tap root chew right off. I dug it out of its current location and moved it and encircled it with a 10 inch hardware cloth sorround. It is starting to get a few new leaves so I am hoping that it will make it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here