Houzz Logo Print
kareen_gw

Look who came to visit us today

kareen
18 years ago

Comments (13)

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    18 years ago

Oh my goodness!!!!!!! Is that a first?? Was he after Gene's vegetables??? or any other food?
    Please tell us more..Anne-Marie

• kareen
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, the first we have seen however there was one in the area last spring. We were away then .
    He was spotted on Rt 150 in West Sand Lake last night and on Rt 4 this morning. Then spotted at the Montosori school off Rt. 4 and then here. He crossed the creek and headed up toward the police station(they were here with us in the yard) Encon was called but I haven't heard if he was captured.
    He ambled across the creek into our yard, chewed some branches off the weeping willow then climbed it. The dog started barking and my husband and police went closer so he came down out of the tree and back across the creek.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

• cindjo2
    18 years ago

We had bear last summer , never before that.. I live in Pawling . I haven't spotted him so far, but I know there are a few.. He tears into our garbage about once a week.. People have spotted cubs also..

• LNMP
    18 years ago

Wow! We've had a lot of wildlife visit our yard (the raccoons come to the bird feeders almost nightly) but never a bear! It seems unusual for them to show up this time of year.

• misstish64
    18 years ago

Wow, what a visitor!

• lilylouise
    18 years ago

Incredible!

• tresbelle3
    18 years ago

Fabulous photo!

• kareen
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the responses everyone. To the best of our knowledge he is still on the loose but was heading back toward the higher elevations .
    It was very exciting when he was here but a little unnerving gardening out there yesterday.

• Aurore
    18 years ago

Gardening huh, now that's nerves of steel.
    I've been real excited about the increase in wildlife in my backyard-deer and turkey, but lately it seems that this has brought about more larger predators- fox and coyote. There are bear in the area, but they are few and far between and maybe once a year one wanders into the city.

• laurelin
    18 years ago

My parents live near Painted Post (Corning). Quite a few years ago, my mother ventured out one morning to get the mail in her robe and slippers. A little while later our neighbor called. "Wow, you're brave!" he said. Mom said, "What?? Why??" "Because there was a bear across the street!" (Untranslatable, unintelligible exclamations from my mother followed.) The next day my father snapped a picture of the bear near the same spot (we don't think the bear was back for Mom, but it was a funny coincidence). We've never let Mom forget going out to meet the bear in her slippers. . . .

Laurelin

• kareen
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Aurore , I haven't seen fox or coyote although I suspect we have had fox cause for awhile the rabbit population was non existant . There was a moose last year about a mile away...I'd love to get a picture of one of those in my yard.

Laurelin, great story about your mom, I am always out there in my robe too. ....I have wondered whether he will be back .

• orcuttnyc
    18 years ago

I'm down in lower Orange County. We/I get at least one bear every other month or so. They seem to like our garbage and bird feeders. I guess it's easier than trying to forrage for roots and berries. Safe enough, just watch out for mamas with cubs. I keep a bucket with fist sized rocks by the door, just in case.
    Two saturday nights ago, my wife and I awoke to the sound of coyotes. Amazing and oddly beautifull.(I grew up watching american westerns)We're still waiting for eastern couger siteings. After that, I can't wait to see a stegosaurous nibbling at my asparagus plants! Might have to wait some time, as i've just planted the bed.. ;)

• theraglady47
    18 years ago

I went out to my garage last year, also in my robe and slippers. I got my plant dishes and turned to go back and there where two skunks between me and the house. I spent about 40 minutes in the garage waiting for them to leave. My husband had a good time telling that srory.