Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

anyone enjoy growing lily of the valley in nys?

phylrae
16 years ago

I am aware of people's experiences of LOV being invasive. I did a GW search. I bought 2 small pots today (5 stems growing out of each) of the PINK lily of the valley for $6 per pot, which I thought was a decent price. I want them for small mixed spring bouquets. I am wondering if I should confine them by growing them in a barrel w/drainage or in the tall, deep trough I have on the side of the house (on stilts)? I am afraid to plant them in the ground, as we grow many roses, lilies, iris and other flowers, and I refuse to compromise them! If I do confine them, will they become too congested, and refuse to bloom? Any suggestions? Thanks for your help. I'm in Baldwinsville, NY. :0) Phyl

Comments (11)

• krazyaroider
    16 years ago

They are invasive, however you have the right idea by planting them in a container. you can take large black plastic pots 5 - 15 gallons, cut the bottom off, sink in ground up to the rim and plant your LOV in them.
    If they get congested, simply thin them out...
    HTH,
    ~ Gerry

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Boy are they invasive. You could have come to my house and gotten all you wanted for FREE! I thought I had dug up one whole section last year but they were back this year. So I dug up another dozen or so and had to toss them since I couldn't find anyone to take them. I still have maybe 40 or 50 more plants that need to come out at some point. It took a couple of year for mine to take off as I just dug up 6 of my neighbors offsets but once they did they really took off.

Penny

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

Penny - When we moved into this house 3-1/2 years ago, there were solid LOV right up next to the foundation for 15 feet or so. I advertised on Freecycle - "you dig" and between 2 people, got rid of all of them.

Well, almost, I just noticed 5 individual leaves which I will have to get to right away.

Phylrae - you can probably get some from Freecycle if you ask.

Carol

• phylrae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gerry, Penny & Carol,
    I'm so sorry Penny and Carol, that you had such a problem with them! That idea you have Gerry, is something I could do in the future with the bottomless black pots I used for a different purpose. This forum somehow does not want to send me emails anymore, so I didn't think anyone had responded. So I went ahead and planted them in a big tub that I had on my deck. Hopefully there won't be too much sun. The Freecycle idea is good too. I've had ppl come to my house in the past to dig some things I didn't want anymore! Phyl

• penny1947
    16 years ago

Carol, I do recall last year when you posted about your LOV and that you thought you had gotten rid of all of them. If I get around to the one section they are curently still in I will post on Freecycle but I have to get that area cleaned out first for some reason it became a weed magnet over the winter and I have things I have never seen before growing in there along with the woodland ferns that are competing all of a sudden with the LOV. I think a lot of the stuff came from my neighbors yard b/c if something sprouts he lets it grow....are you getting the picture? Three years ago he left some volunteer maple seedlings develop and now they are over the top of my fence. I have a feeling I will be doing some major pruning as soon as they start coming over into my yard. The only advantage is that they border the north side of my yard so they will help to create a bit of a micro climate by blocking the north wind. I even have some sort of stiff needled grassy clump in there along with all of my jewelweed. I will probably spend the summer cleaning out that bed after I get my regular beds plnated out. Right now I am just pulling out stuff that could go to seed any time soon....a little here and a little there. Once I have the dead tree in that area removed I will dig up the whole bed and replant it.

Penny

• gottagarden
    16 years ago

Penny, a friend of mine wants LOV for her woods. She has acres of space. If they are available in time for the plant swap, bring them and I will "freecycle" them to her.

Thanks

• penny1947
    16 years ago

YOU GOT IT GG! Please remind me again if you think about it a few days before the swap so I can dig them fresh.

Penny

• breenthumb
    16 years ago

I enjoyed them until they broke through and ruined my blacktop driveway! You did right to contain them. On the other hand, there were a few under a neighbors tree in side yard (other side of house) which have really filled in quickly and, for now, are quite nice. Not going to worry about them for a while. Sandy

• hammerl
    16 years ago

Oddly enough, I have trouble growing them. I've finally managed to get maybe six or seven plants to grow in the back bed (first year they're flowering), and only one on the side. I briefly had some of the pink, but it died.

My sister just gave me a few more. Of course, until this week I also thought I'd managed to kill a trumpet vine, so you never can tell. They might take over this year (LoV, not trumpet vine. I'm sure that will take over some day, too)

• penny1947
    16 years ago

I planted my 6 LOV about 8 years ago and they didn't take over until last year. Before that they just looked nice and tidy. Those roots must have been developing under the soil all those years because they just seemed to explode last year.

Penny

• waplummer
    16 years ago

That is one plant that I do NOT want in my yard, but I do have mainthenum canadensis and that can spread all it wants.