Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First 2006 Hummer Back

Posted by cats39 z5 Upstate NY (My Page) on
Sun, May 7, 06 at 20:24

Hi Penny and All!

Went up to the bedroom to close the blinds and lo and behold my first male Ruby was perched. It was 20:00 hrs (8:00 PM EDT).

I went down to the kitchen window to get a closer look. I don't know how long he was there but watched him for 10 minutes. He was a thirsty little bugger. I hope he stays and is just not passing through.

Penny, thanks again for the tip on the 3 to 1 ratio.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First 2006 Hummer Back

Cats
You are more than welcome and congratulations on your first of the season.

Penny

o

Ok Penny share the tip!

o

• Posted by von1 z4 NY (My Page) on
    Mon, May 8, 06 at 22:36

First one this past weekend. Lots of flowers are out and I added the feeders too.

o

Husky
I use plain sugar instead of the purchased nectar. In spring I use 3 parts water to 1 part sugar (no food coloring) Once it warms up and the plants start blooming I switch to 4 parts water to 1 part sugar. You can use either 3:1 or 4:1 all season. I use 3:1 in spring and during fall migration as it gives them a little extra energy when natural nectar sources are low or non existent in a given area.

Penny

o

i live in richland ny, just outside pulaski and altmar ny. our humming birds came back on may 4th!!! we put up our feeder, and have had the pleasure of their visits everyday!!

o

Our hummers come back every year, hover back and forth in front of our kitchen window to let us know they are here, then we hang the feeder out. It still amazes me that they fly all that way and find the same place each year!

o

My first one of the season just arrived at 6:04 pm

Wayne have yours come back yet?????

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here