Return to the Upstate New York Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lilac

Posted by RachaelLemmon 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 20:37

This may be a tired subject but I inherited this massive lilac with the new house and I wondered if anyone could tell me how and when to remove some stems/ trunks . There are hundreds of runners and the oldest trunks still flower but all at the very top. my neighbor said its been here since atleast the mid 50's when he was a child. Thanks in advance .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lilac

Just another picture . I really hope to help it become fuller but if I should leave it be , I will . My whole property smells wonderful when it's in bloom, I really do love it.

o

oh, it's beautiful! I love lilacs!

If you want to rejuvenate it (cut it back or shape it), you do it right after it finishes blooming. For total rejuvenation, the general advice is to remove 1/3 of the branches each year for a 3 year period by cutting them back to the ground. My Dad has often cut back selective branches of older/taller lilacs by trimming them to a desired height... he never had any problems with them coming back.

Yours doesn't look like it needs total rejuvenation at all. It looks a little like one of mine... I had a beautiful Charles Joly lilac that got completely busted back one winter. It must have been grafted and I must have lost the CJ part because what I ended up with was a common lilac that suckers *terribly*. To make matters worse, it got busted up again the next winter and again two years later by construction equipment. That poor lilac has suffered repeatedly and it keeps sending out more suckers. :p There doesn't seem to be any way for me to control it now, so I just cut out anything that's misshapen and excess suckers whenever I have the time and will. :O)

o

Lilacs tolerate pruning well. In the pictures it looks like a fine healthy plant. There are several techniques available. What do you want it to do?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Upstate New York Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here