Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt_v

Hummingbird sighting in cNY

matt_v
18 years ago

Greetings! Mine are probably going to be here Monday, but...

"I had a hummingbird come to my feeder late this afternoon-Friday, the

6th. I have been following the hummingbird website and watching the

weather. I figured they would be in on the next south wind. I put the

feeders out on the 5th; one showed up on the 6th. My elevation is 1200

feet and I thought that might slow them down."

Dorothy Crumb

Pompey

So far in Camillus, a Rose-breasted Grosbeak yesterday. Still no Orioles... Spinach, Swiss Chard, Beets, and Radishes are sprouting in the vegetable garden. Tulips are just starting to open, Primroses are fading, Doronicum and Aquilegia should be next for the perennials!

Comments (33)

• Aurore
    18 years ago

I heard an oriole here today. They show just when the butternut tree panicles come out. Also had a pilated woody hammering away. Used to have the hummers here when the apple blossoms came out, but the tree blew over.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

My hummers haven't returned yet. The first one showed up last year on April 28th. I am so bummed!

Penny

• lblack61
    18 years ago

I'm still waiting for my first hummingbird. I'm faithfully putting the feeders out and chaning the nectar, though.
    My other bird feeders are getting a lot of action, for which I'm very excited :-)
    As for sprouts, the Mustard Spinach I Wsed is ready to eat! It has leaves that are about 2 1/2 inches long!

• misstish64
    18 years ago

Also waiting here in Albany. No hummingbirds yet. Last year we saw our first one ever on May 5th, and I assumed that they had been around before then, we just didn't know to look for them. Every day my husband comes home from work and asks, "Any hummingbirds today?" I strung wide red ribbon all through the pergola slats and on all the peony hoops in hopes of attracting them...it's starting to feel as if I'm throwing a party and none of the invitees are showing up!

• lblack61
    18 years ago

I was outside planting and something flew by me. I hate bugs with a passion (esp. wasps and hornets) and I was afraid it was something like that. Turns out it was a hummer (black and green in color). He went to the feeder but didn't stay long at all...didn't look like he really sipped. I hope it's not that he doesn't like the nectar :-( I just put it in Sunday.

• cats39
    18 years ago

Hi penny and all!

I've been busy, busy, busy, busy, every free moment with yard work and for the first time last night this spring at about 07:30 PM I actually sat on our deck all by myself to relax before the mosquitoes come back. Low and behold a Male Ruby darted from around the garage, came to the feeder took one look at me and my dog sitting in my lap less than 5' away and went back faster than it came.

Either just not quite use to me yet or the dog must have scared the by-jeepers out of him.

Hope you get to see your first little beauty soon.

Jim

• rouan
    18 years ago

I'm still waiting for my hummingbirds to show up. :(

I had several of them last year by this time so don't know what's keeping them away. I put my feeders up as soon as the migration map showed them being seen in NY as I wanted to make sure they had a food source while waiting for the flowers to bloom.
    At least I'm not the only one still waiting, so there's still hope!

• oldroser
    18 years ago

Mine arrived four days ago and I promptly put up the feeder. He's been busy on the flowering crab but does stop at the feeder for a refill most mornings. I'm in the Mid-Hudson valley.

• digginDan
    18 years ago

First sighting for us today in the Schoharie Valley, elevation 1200'. We saw our first oriole of the season 2-3 days ago.

• htuckey
    18 years ago

My wife is after me to put up the feeders -- she spotted a ruby-throat this morning, checking out the rhododendron by our back porch.

Even better -- we had an ivory-billed woodpecker in our back yard on Sunday! We see him every spring -- usually he leaves a great hole in something. At first I thought it was a pileated woodpecker, but I'm sure the bill is ivory-colored, almost white.

• erica254
    18 years ago

I live in vestal,NY, and I saw my first visitor of the season yesterday! YIPPEEE! I cant wait till my gardens start blooming...I think just about every plant I have is for the hummers! LOL.

• rouan
    18 years ago

YES!

I saw the male hummingbird at my window feeder this morning. Yesterday evening, I though I heard hummingbirds chittering away in the trees along the side of the house but didn't say any of them until this morning. I guess patience is a virtue I need to cultivate a little more...

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Well I am still waiting here in Niagara County! I have 2 gartenmeister fuschias starting to bloom, impatiens, bleeding hearts, Salvia 'Lady in Red' and 4 baskets of Million bells plus my 3 grown from seed Salvia Guaranitica Black and Blues that have been blooming for over a month now.My Rhodie hasn't bloomed yet this year. Last year I think it was almost done by this time. In fact my first hummer showed up the day I put it in the ground last year.

Penny
    who is totally hummerless and cranky

• rouan
    18 years ago

Penny,

I totally symphathise with you. I was feeling very cranky and unloved (by the hummers, not my family) until I heard the hummingbirds yesterday evening. Don't worry, They'll show up!

• misstish64
    18 years ago

He came, he came, HE CAME! (Or she.) I was sitting out in the front with the dog and all of the sudden there it was. Checked out the feeder, the red glass globe I have hanging (was a feeder, but dripped and drew ants last year, so I hung it with no nectar and no stopper- just for color) and the azalea before it noticed my dog about 8 inches away and zipped off. So happy he (or she) is back. The body is darker than I remember, and not as green. I will worry about the little guy tonight though...28 degrees is even too cold for the hummie's new fuschia, and too cold for me!

• Buffalobirdbrain
    18 years ago

Penny,
    I saw my first hummingbird of the season in Amherst tonight.

I'll tell him to take a trip over to your house over the weekend!!
    Carol

• Dottie B.
    18 years ago

I saw my first hummer yesterday 5-12-05 and also saw our Oriole, though I have heard him all week. I am so happy. I live in Pennellville, NY (Southern Oswego County).

• Sue_in_NYC
    18 years ago

We got them ystdy in Ticonderoga. Two, a male and female. But they're gone today. :(

• LNMP
    18 years ago

I'm still waiting here in Colonie, though we've had the hummingbird feeder out for several weeks now (I've changed the sugar water regularly). A friend up near Glens Falls has already had a hummingbird visit her yard. No fair! :)

• matt_v
    Original Author
    18 years ago

FINALLY!!! The little fellow is right now at my Fuschia basket. I first noticed him this morning while beginning a mulching job. He had reassumed his customary perch in the Hackberry tree, defending 'his' feeder.

GREAT DAY FOR YARDBIRDS!!! Today, I noted the return of the Gray Catbird, Red-eyed Vireo, Black-billed Cuckoo, American Redstart, Scarlet Tanager, and had a surprise Spotted Sandpiper!! Most of the Birds betrayed their presence by singing/calling.

I have to go back to mulching now, looks as if the Doronicum LITTLE LEO is about to bloom...

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Still no hummers, and no orioles, mostly just chicadees and an occasional robin. Last year was a bonus hummer year with the most hummers I have ever had since coming to NY. My first one was spotted at the feeder on the 28th of April and I had them until late Sept. Here it is the middle of May and Nada!

penny

• matt_v
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Greetings! Today, the second Hummer came back. We usually have two pairs, thus I run 2-3 feeders in different places in the yard. The rival boys are chasing and buzzing all over the place!! On my morning Birdwalk, I was startled by one of the males. He was sipping dewdrops (raindrops?) off the spruce needles...NEAT!!

Penny, for Orioles listen for their short, sweet whistled song. They usually do a little ditty over and over again...like half a Robin song. Dot-dot-dot-dot-DAT-DAT! Each one is different. Get juice oranges, and cut them in half. Impale them inside large shrubs that are blooming (Lilac) or near Cherry trees. You'll get 'em!!

• penny1947
    18 years ago

HEY MATT AND ALL!
    I finally had my first hummer siting this a.m. at 6:30 which means that she was probably here already at least a day or two. Needless to say I am all done sulking. I am one happy hummer watcher again! I did get a nice juicy orange yesterday and put some grape jelly in the center. Don't have any blooming shrubs close by so I hung it from a tree limb that looks out over a small field bordered by various trees and shrubs. Hopefully they will see it and come to investigate.

Penny

• Aurore
    18 years ago

Hey Matt
    Maybe you can help me identify a bird I saw yesterday. I don't know if it is a resident or just passing through. It is a yellow bird (like a goldfinch) about 5 inches (the size of a wren, maybe) with a large black mask across it's eyes. Tried to identify it from the birding websites on the internet, but wasn't too sure. The closest ID I could find was a black and white warbler, but that seemed to have too much black and white.

• matt_v
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Greetings! Aurore, you saw The Bandit!! Try looking up COMMON YELLOWTHROAT. It's a Warbler, and sings: "Witchity-Witchity-Witchity". They nest in grassy scrub and shrubs.

• Aurore
    18 years ago

I think it may be the common yellow throat. I hope I can get another look at him to be sure.
    The female oriole was in my backyard earlier pulling on the twine I used to tie together some stakes. I'll have to hang out some loose bits of twine for her to use for building her nest. I love looking for the nest in the fall after the leaves have all fallen and you can see it hanging from the branches.

• BruMeta
    18 years ago

Perhaps the site given below will interest you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbirds: 2005 migration maps

• Auriesville_NY
    18 years ago

Hi There.
    We have a couple of hummers (1 male and 1 female) here in Auriesville.
    I am wanting Orioles... What can I do to attract them?
    Blessings,
    Margaret

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I have always heard that if you put out an orange half with welsh's grape jelly that would do it. But I was told it has to be Welsh's and no other brand. I have tried both Welsh's and an off-brand and so far neither has worked for me.

Penny

• Sue_in_NYC
    18 years ago

BruMeta, what a great site! Thanks!

• kathy2
    18 years ago

I saw my first humming bird on May 11th and regularly every since. It looks like the same two are back that were here last year, but that's just a guess.

• nantz_
    18 years ago

First one in the greenhouse May 10th in Bristol Vermont. This prompted me to put up my feeders in the hills of Lincoln. There were three here the next day. Next year I'll put them up earlier. I love having them out there fighting over my feeders!

• kathy2
    18 years ago

One of mine seems to have a big tummy. Is it that time of year?

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida